Maria I. McMahon
Maria is the Senior Knowledge Lawyer for Baker McKenzie's North America Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group, with responsibility for knowledge management and training North American litigators, arbitration, government enforcement and compliance lawyers. North America Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group is comprised of over 160 attorneys located in the US (Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Palo Alto, San Francisco and Washington, DC), Mexico (Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey) and Canada (Toronto).
Prior to to transitioning to a knowledge lawyer role, Maria was a senior associate at Baker McKenzie. She has significant experience of complex litigation, government and internal investigations, and compliance. Additionally, Maria has extensive experience in corporate transactions — including mergers & acquisitions, foreign direct investment, joint ventures, corporate governance, hostile takeover defense — and complex disputes. She also focuses on emerging markets, particularly Russia and the former Soviet Union. Ms. McMahon has represented pharmaceutical, oil and gas, freight forwarding, and defense companies.
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- New York~United States (2005)
- George Washington University (LL.M.) (2004)
- St. Petersburg State University (J.D., Honors) (2001)
- St. Petersburg State University (Master of Science) (1989)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "Litigation Preparedness for Directors," NACD Boardtalk, August 2022
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Brings Increased Scrutiny from Development Banks," Ethisphere Magazine, December 2020
- Co-author, "Considerations for Aerospace and Defense Companies When Navigating Contractual Rights and Obligations in the Face of COVID-19," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, 10 April 2020
- Co-author, "Baker McKenzie: Reducing Litigation Risk," Ethisphere Magazine, April 2020
- Co-author, "No Force Majeure Clause? Other Potential Options to Excuse Contractual Performance Under US Law in the Face of COVID-19," Baker McKenzie Insight, 6 March 2020
- Co-author, "US: When Is Force Majeure Really Force Majeure?," Baker McKenzie Insight, 5 March 2020