Marvin V. Masangkay
His practice focuses on general civil, commercial, and criminal litigation and intra-corporate disputes, and aviation regulations. He has also handled commercial work, general tax, and labor litigation. He has advised and represented various clients engaged in the energy, aviation, outsourcing, pharmaceutical, mining, and manufacturing industries. He has extensive experience in helping resolve disputes involving aviation and logistics companies.
He has represented various multinational clients, including chemical manufacturing companies, in several of the largest torts/products liability actions in the Philippines; mining corporations in mining-related litigations, airline companies in torts/quasi-delict actions; oil company in proceedings before the Commission of Human Rights; and other multinational corporations in regulatory proceedings before the Civil Aeronautics Board, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines and the Energy Regulatory Board.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise and represent two major international chemical companies in torts suits filed by banana plantation owners, which together possibly constitute the biggest damages/tort suits ever filed in the Philippines.
- Assist and represent a Philippine subsidiary of a European company in the business of manufacturing precision sheet metals and other industrial equipment and tools in a lease dispute with the owner-lessor of eight buildings leased by the client for its manufacturing plant.
- Advise an international insurance, broking and financial services provider in a suit against a government owned and controlled corporation (GOCC) in relation to the aviation reinsurance agreement/broker authority (Authority) it granted client. Assist client in the declaratory relief with the court to challenge the GOCC's claim that the Authority was invalid.
- Advise Consolidated Iron Sands in respect of its investments in an offshore magnetite project and discussions with national government on regulatory matters; advise client in ongoing discussions and negotiations with its local joint venture partner and dispute resolution.
- Represent a Philippines-based copper and copper-gold deposit exploration and mining company in connection with the adverse claim/opposition filed by another Philippines-based mining and exploration company and other related proceedings that may arise from the subject mining areas.
- Advise and represent a Spanish multinational engaged in oil and gas exploration and production in a suit filed by an international environmental non-government agency before the Commission on Human Rights, seeking to hold the world’s largest oil, coal, cement, and mining companies liable for climate change-caused damages supposedly arising out of the company’s carbon emissions.
- Advise and represent an Asian aircraft leasing company in relation to an aircraft lease involving a Philippines-based airline company.
- Advise and represent a US aircraft leasing company in relation to a dispute with the lessee.
- Represent two of the world’s largest airline companies based in the United States and other foreign airlines in various damages/liability suits.
- Assist and represent a US-based company with several businesses including aircraft leasing before the Bureau of Customs (BoC) and Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) in relation to a dispute with a local airline company (‘company’) over an aircraft which was seized and declared abandoned in favor of the Philippine Government because of the company’s failure to comply with customs regulations.
- Next Generation Partner for Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 to 2023
- Legal 500 Private Practice Arbitration Powerlist - South East Asia Region, 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Co-head, Aviation Committee
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. - Trained Arbitrator
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Philippines (2006)
- Ateneo de Manila University (JD) (2005)
- University of Santo Tomas (AB Legal Management) (2001)
Co-author, Industry-specific Regulations on Aviation, Quisumbing Torres Doing Business in the Philippines, 2020
Co-author, Industry-specific Regulations on Aviation, ECCP Doing Business in the Philippines, 2020
Co-author, Philippines: Enhanced Community Quarantine, Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, 2020
Co-author, Lease Contracts and ECQ-Related Guidelines Affecting Them, Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, 2020
Speaker, "Amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure and Evidence", April 2020