Basanda Maluleka is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Corporate M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Basanda routinely assists clients in matters involving public and private mergers and acquisitions, reorganisations, private equity and corporate governance.
She acts for some of the major South African and international institutions including banks, development finance institutions and state-owned entities, across a variety of industries.
Basanda's experience includes advising on corporate matters, as well as drafting and negotiating commercial agreements/documentation such as sale of shares and assets, sale of business, share subscriptions, restructures, asset for shares, share repurchases, implementation, transitional services, service level agreements, shareholders agreements and memoranda of incorporation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Ascendis Health Limited on the disposal of the Ascendis Animal Health business, which was awarded Private Equity Deal of the Year by DealMakers in 2021.*
- Advised Massmart Holdings Limited on the disposal of its Cambridge Food business, Massfresh business, and select Masscash Cash and Carry stores to Shoprite Holdings Limited.*
- Advised Massmart in relation to an offer by Walmart Inc to acquire all the issued shares in Massmart other than the shares already held by Walmart, a subsidiary of Walmart or a treasury shareholding subsidiary of Massmart, by way of a scheme of arrangement and delisting of the Massmart shares from the main board of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.*
- Advised The Foschini Group Limited on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Tapestry Home Brands Proprietary Limited from the existing shareholders.*
- Advised The Foschini Group Limited on the acquisition of Jet from Edcon Limited (in business rescue). This deal was shortlisted by DealMakers for the Brunswick Deal of the Year in 2020 and the Business Rescue Transaction of the Year in 2020.*
- Advised RMB Ventures together with Bopa Moruo Fund II Proprietary Limited on the acquisition of an indirect stake of 52.31% in Cargo Compass (South Africa) Proprietary Limited. This deal was shortlisted by DealMakers for Private Equity Deal of the Year in 2019.*
- Advised the International Finance Corporation and Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG) on the subscription of shares in K2016405430 (South Africa) Proprietary Limited, being the sole shareholder in Naked Financial Technology Proprietary Limited.*
- Advised the Danish Investment Fund for Developing Countries on a transfer of business transaction and subsequent subscription of shares in aBi Finance Limited.*
* Experience obtained prior to joining Baker McKenzie
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa
- South Africa (2021)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Certificate in Advanced Company Law II) (2022)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Certificate in Advanced Company Law I) (2022)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLB) (2018)