Stephen Long is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice in Dallas.
Stephen's practice focuses on multistate tax issues. He successfully handles complex state and local tax matters across the US, including tax controversy, transactional, and planning matters, for some of the largest companies in the world.
He has deep experience with variety of state and local taxes, including corporate income tax, sales and use tax, gross receipts taxes, and oil production tax.
He regularly represents clients during audit, through administrative appeals, and if necessary, in court. He helps clients navigate the appeals process in a multitude of states and has a particular focus on the taxes and appeals system in Texas.
He also helps clients manage the state and local tax impact of major acquisitions, dispositions, and combinations in transactions that often feature international as well as domestic tax aspects.
While many of his clients are large multinational companies, Stephen also represents high net worth individuals with individual tax issues, such as domicile and residency issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas Comptroller's Taxpayer Advisory Group - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Tax Council - Elected Member
- State Bar of Texas - SALT Committee - Two-term chair
- Texas~United States (2007)
- South Carolina (inactive)~United States (2007)
- New York University (LLM) (2007)
- University of South Carolina (JD, cum laude) (2006)
- Wofford College (BA, cum laude) (2003)