Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as third chair in the trial team that prevailed in bench trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County defending a private equity client against the plaintiffs' breach of contract and piercing the corporate veil claims.
- Represented a private equity firm portfolio company in a USD 60 million breach of contract dispute.
- Represented a corporation and individuals in conjunction with a criminal tax investigation in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented a large private equity firm in fraudulent conveyance action seeking over USD 100 million.
- Represented an individual in an SEC investigation relating to alleged securities laws violations concerning a large publicly-held investment fund.
- Represented several clients in product liability appellate proceedings in various state and federal courts.
- Drafted a motion to dismiss and obtained dismissal of a complaint alleging breach of contract and breach of warranty in a matter proceeding in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Argued in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on the appeal of a client's conviction on drug and gun charges as a member of an educational institution's legal clinic.
- Obtained dismissal of client's eviction action brought by a housing authority in Illinois.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of client suing a police department in Illinois for excessive use of force.
Education and Honors
Prior to joining the Firm, Mike was an associate editor for the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, member of the Bartlit National Trial Team and president of the Student Bar Association at Northwestern University School of Law. While in law school, he was an intern at the United States Attorney's office for the Northern District of Illinois. Upon graduation, he received the Northwestern University School of Law leadership award. Prior to law school, he spent four years engaging in political and legislative advocacy while working at the National Association of Realtors in Washington, DC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association's 2016 Leadership Institute - Member
- Chicago Bar Foundation's Young Professionals Board - Member
- Chicago Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Committee - Investigator
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2013)
- Illinois~United States (2013)
- Northwestern University School of Law (JD cum laude) (2013)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (BS with comprehensive honors) (2006)
- London School of Economics (2005)