Michael (Mike) Lehrman
Mike Lehrman is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office and a trial lawyer focusing on financial industry disputes and securities litigation. Mike helps companies and firms successfully try high stakes matters and favorably resolve complex disputes, and has successfully tried to judgment/verdict numerous cases, including the first post-Covid virtual civil trial in the Supreme Court of New York, obtaining a USD 25 million judgment in that matter.
Mike is also dedicated to serving the community, and has an active pro bono practice for which he has received numerous firm awards, including the firm’s Robert L. Berner, Jr. Award. In the fall of 2022, Mike was recognized by the Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation as its pro bono attorney of the year. Mike also serves as the Development Committee Chair for the Chicago Bar Foundation, the largest voluntarily supported bar foundation in the country.
Representative Legal Matters
- Examined witnesses at trial and obtained USD 25 million judgment in the first post Covid virtual civil trial in the Supreme Court of New York.
- Obtained a full defense judgment in the Circuit Court of Cook County defending a private equity firm against plaintiff’s breach of contract and piercing the corporate veil claims.
- Represented corporation which went public via SPAC transaction in a series of related shareholder, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty suits in the Delaware Court of Chancery, among other courts.
- Obtained favorable settlement on the eve of trial for large private equity firm client in fraudulent conveyance action seeking over USD 100 million.
- Investigated fraud allegations against employee of large, multinational consultancy, compiling evidence of the same and referring the matter to the FBI who obtained a guilty verdict for wire fraud resulting in six-figure restitution payment to client.
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint alleging breach of contract and breach of warranty in a matter proceeding in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Argued in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on the appeal of a client's conviction on drug and gun charges as a member of an educational institution's legal clinic.
- Obtained dismissal of client's eviction action brought by a housing authority in Illinois.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on the eve of trial for client suing the Chicago Police Department for excessive use of force.
Education and Honors
Prior to joining the Firm, Mike was an associate editor for the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, member of the Bartlit National Trial Team and president of the Student Bar Association at Northwestern University School of Law. While in law school, he was an intern at the United States Attorney's office for the Northern District of Illinois. Upon graduation, he received the Northwestern University School of Law leadership award. Prior to law school, he spent four years engaging in political and legislative advocacy while working at the National Association of Realtors in Washington, DC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Foundation Board of Directors - Member
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2013)
- Illinois~United States (2013)
- Northwestern University School of Law (JD, cum laude) (2013)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (BS, with comprehensive honors) (2006)
- London School of Economics (2005)
Speaker, Challenging Personal Jurisdiction, 2021
Speaker, New Developments, and Best Practices for Dispute Resolution in the Covid Era, Sponsored by the Association of Corporate Counsel, 2020
Speaker, Ethical Issues in Pro Bono Representation, 2016, 2017