Representative Legal Matters
- Examined witnesses at trial and obtained USD 25 million judgment as third chair in the first virtual civil trial in the Supreme Court of New York.
- Acted as third chair in the trial team that prevailed in bench trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County defending a private equity client against the plaintiffs' breach of contract and piercing the corporate veil claims.
- Represented a corporation and individuals in conjunction with a criminal tax investigation in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Investigated fraud allegations against employee of large, multinational consultancy, compiling evidence of the same and referring the matter to the FBI who obtained a guilty verdict for wire fraud resulting in six-figure restitution payment to client.
- Obtained favorable settlement on the eve of trial for large private equity firm client in fraudulent conveyance action seeking over USD 100 million.
- Represented an individual in an SEC investigation relating to alleged securities laws violations concerning a large publicly-held investment fund.
- Represented several clients in product liability appellate proceedings in various state and federal courts.
- Drafted a motion to dismiss and obtained dismissal of a complaint alleging breach of contract and breach of warranty in a matter proceeding in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Argued in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on the appeal of a client's conviction on drug and gun charges as a member of an educational institution's legal clinic.
- Obtained dismissal of client's eviction action brought by a housing authority in Illinois.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on the eve of trial for client suing the Chicago Police Department for excessive use of force.
Education and Honors
Prior to joining the Firm, Mike was an associate editor for the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, member of the Bartlit National Trial Team and president of the Student Bar Association at Northwestern University School of Law. While in law school, he was an intern at the United States Attorney's office for the Northern District of Illinois. Upon graduation, he received the Northwestern University School of Law leadership award. Prior to law school, he spent four years engaging in political and legislative advocacy while working at the National Association of Realtors in Washington, DC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Foundation's Young Professionals Board - Vice President
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2013)
- Illinois~United States (2013)
- Northwestern University School of Law (JD, cum laude) (2013)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (BS, with comprehensive honors) (2006)
- London School of Economics (2005)
Speaker, New Developments, and Best Practices for Dispute Resolution in the Covid Era, Sponsored by the Association of Corporate Counsel, 2020
Speaker, Ethical Issues in Pro Bono Representation, 2016, 2017