Leon Larrain is a transactional lawyer with extensive experience in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking & Finance and Project Finance. Mr. Larrain practices also in telecommunications, securities and real estate projects. He is ranked as a “Recommended Individual” in Corporate/M&A and also in Banking & Finance by PLC Which Lawyer 2012. He has also been recognized by Chambers and Partners for his work in Banking & Finance and M&A. Mr. Larrain has served in several committees of Baker McKenzie. He provides pro bono work for several institutions. He is bar admitted in Chile since 1980.
Mr. Larrain has an extensive experience on Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity transactions, Corporate Finance and major infrastructure projects. He also provides corporate and securities advice to multinational and Chilean companies. Among some of the transactions he has worked on the acquisition of Dresdner Bank Chile by Grupo Security, acted for Autostrade per l’Italia in the acquisition of 4 toll road companies, advised GE Capital in a private equity transaction; has advised Kimco Realty Corp. in Chile in their private equity and real estate investments; has advised ED&F Man in the acquisition of Campos Chilenos and Industria Azucarera Nacional (two publicly listed companies); has advised Alliance Boots in the acquisition of Farmacias Ahumada (publicly listed company), etc. He has worked also advising some of the most important local and multinational companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised E D & F Man, a British merchant of agricultural commodities, with the tender offer to acquire up to 100% of the shares issued by Sociedad de Inversiones Campos Chilenos S.A. and Empresas Iansa S.A. (IANSA).
- Advised Grupo Security on acquisition of Compañía de Seguros de Vida Cruz del Sur S.A. (insurance company); Cruz del Sur Administradora General de Fondos S.A.; Cruz del Sur Capital S.A.; Cruz del Sur Corredora de Bolsa S.A. (stock broker); Hipotecaria Cruz del Sur Principal S.A.; y Sociedad de Asesorías e Inversiones Cruz del Sur Ltda. from the Angelini Group for USD300 million, allowing the company to double its insurance business, as well as its life annuities stock and investment portfolio.
- Advised Atlantia in the sale of a significant stake in Chile’s Costanera Group. The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) purchased a 49.99 percent stake in the group from Atlantia S.p.A. in a transaction valued at USD1.15 billion.
- Advised Brasil Foods in the acquisition of the remaining 40% of the Chilean subsidiary of Sadia.
- Acted for Atlantia / Autostrade in the acquisition of the following companies from Grupo Itínere USD340,000,000 approx.: a) 100% Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista Nororiente S.A.; b) 100% Sociedad Concesionaria Los Lagos S.A.: c) 100% Gestión Vial S.A.; d) 50% Sociedad Concesionaria Autopista Vespucio Sur S.A.; e) 50% Sociedad Concesionaria de Los Lagos S.A.; f) 50% Sociedad de Operación y Logística de Infraestructura S.A. The transaction included a tender offer in Spain from Citi Infrastructure Partners L.P. for the acquisition of over 50% of the stocks of Spanish Itinere Infraestructuras S.A., as well as the sale and transfer to Autostrade per L'Italia S.p.A. of a series of Itinere assets.
- Acted for Grupo Security S.A. in a Public Tender Offer, to acquire the control of Dresdner Bank Lateinamerica Chile, a listed company in the Stock Exchange of Santiago.
- Acted for GE Capital in the acquisition of participation interest in the Integramédica Group in Chile (Private Equity transaction).
- Acted for Alcatel Canada Inc. in the sale of its participation interests in the Coasin Group in various Central and South American countries, as well as in the acquisition of a participation interest in Tecnocom S.A. in Uruguay.
- Acted for Grupo Security S.A. on the acquisition Acquisition of a Pension Fund company and two insurance companies from AGF France.
- Acted for Grupo Security S.A. on the acquisition Acquisition of an insurance company from AIG.
- Recognized as a top tier lawyer, Chambers & Partners Latin America Guide, 2016
- Best Lawyer in Corporate and M&A Law and Project Finance and Development Practice, Best Lawyers International, 2016
- Leading lawyer, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Recognized for his work in M&A, IFLR Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chilean Bar Association - Conciliator at Center for Settlement of International Investment Disputes (ICSID) in Washington,D.C.
- Chile (1980)
- Harvard University (I.T.P.) (1990)
- Adolfo Ibañez Business School (Certificate) (1988)
- University of Chilé (Tax) (1986)
- University of Chilé (LL.B.) (1978)
Baker & McKenzie Ltda. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.