Chien-Hung Lai concentrates his practice on dispute resolution involving civil, criminal and administrative law, as well as on labor and employment law, in addition to general commercial and corporate matters.
Mr. Lai has substantial experience in assisting and representing domestic and multinational clients in various courts and governmental agencies in Taiwan, as well as in cross-border litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a life insurance company and a banking institution in the legal proceedings in the US relating to the Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC ponzi scheme.
- Assisted an electronics manufacturing company in civil actions in Hong Kong and the US relating to theft of trade secrets, unlawful solicitation of employees, and unfair competition.
- Advising and representing a golf resort in its civil, criminal and administrative disputes.
- Defended a government official against criminal charges of corruption with respect to construction of the Taipei MRT system.
- Defended the vice president of a general hospital against criminal charges of medical malpractice.
- Advised and assisted a domestic corporation in the bicycle industry in matters relating to civil and criminal disputes and legal proceedings both in Taiwan and the US.
- Advising and assisting various domestic and multinational corporations in matters relating to commercial disputes, intellectual property rights, criminal charges, labor and employment related proceedings, and competition issues.
- Advising domestic and foreign corporations on matters relating to labor and employment laws in merger and acquisition transactions, employment and termination agreements, pension, and work rules.
- Representing a multinational pharmaceutical company in a case regarding secondment and termination.
- Represented a foreign company as a creditor in the corporate reorganization proceeding of a public company in Taiwan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- New York~United States (2013)
- Taipei~Taiwan (2004)
- University of Chicago Law School (LL.M. Economic and Corporate Law, Honors) (2010)
- National Taiwan University (Master) (2007)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (2000)
A Legal Research on the Regulation of Special Businesses in Taiwan (Master Thesis)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.