Lex Kuo is a registered foreign lawyer in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group. Lex has deep expertise in the technology, media/entertainment, sports and telecom industries, with a particular focus on Greater China. He advises on regulatory and transactions projects relating to technology, intellectual property, cybersecurity and data privacy, including tech and IP licensing, cybersecurity and data protection assessments, global terms of services and privacy policies, new media content licensing agreements, as well as e-sports transactions.
Clients comment that Lex has "extensive experience and his own unique approach to the various types of projects in which the investment, authorizations, co-production, etc., differ between Hollywood and China." – China Business Law Awards (2019)
Lex also brings with him significant experience in representing Chinese and international entertainment and media clients. He regularly advises producers, distributors, and financiers of motion pictures and other content on a variety of cross-border and strategic matters, including financing, development, production and distribution of media and entertainment projects, music licensing, IP rights, and content exploitation on traditional and new media platforms.
Lex worked in-house at one of the Major Studios overseeing legal and business affairs in relation to development and exploitation of traditional and new content. He is also a host/producer at one of the leading music radio stations in Taiwan and has produced several radio programs syndicated in Greater China.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Lex handled the following matters:
Technology & Intellectual Property
- Advised a Chinese internet content platform on compliance with consumer protection laws and privacy laws, including GDPR, in Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, the US, Europe, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Brazil, for all of its major social media products.
- Advised a leading Chinese internet and technology company on its terms of services, standard services contracts, and SLAs for its global services offering.
Game & E-sport
- Advised a leading Chinese game company on its global regulatory compliance program and the global terms of services for its flagship game products.
- Advised a leading Chinese internet and technology company on regulatory compliance in connection with market entry and game localization, including content moderation guidelines and content clearance advice.
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Advised a leading Chinese internet and technology company on compliance with GDPR for its various products, including messaging, payments, gaming, and cloud products.
- Advised a US cybersecurity endpoint software company on the relevant compliance requirements in the PRC for offshore SAAS and PAAS service providers.
Entertainment, Sports & Media
- Advised a leading Chinese internet and technology company on its co-financing and co-distribution transaction for various high-profile, award-winning films.
- Advised a leading Chinese internet and technology company in its agreement to become the Exclusive Official Digital Streaming Media Partner for an American football league in China.
- Advised a US VR company on its location-based entertainment license agreement with its Chinese partner.
- Recognized in the Global Entertainment, Sports & Media Practice - Dealmakers Impact Report, Variety (2019)
- Recognized Practitioner in Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT) China (International Firms) - Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019)
- California (2009)
- New York (2008)
- Taiwan (2008)
- University of California, Berkeley (Master of Laws)
- University of California, Berkeley (Doctorate of Juridical Science)