Ampika Kumar is a Partner at the Baker McKenzie Office in Bangkok. She joined Baker McKenzie in February 2002 and is currently active in the Corporate and Commercial and Insurance practice groups. Her areas of expertise include insurance regulatory, corporate restructuring, mergers & acquisitions (both for private limited and public limited companies) and trade competition. Ampika is recognized as a "Band 2" lawyer in the area of Insurance and 'Band 1' in Competition / Antitrust for Thailand by the Chambers Asia Pacific guide.
Ampika has over 20 years of experience providing legal advice in relation to deal restructuring, including drafting related transaction documents for merger & acquisition projects in various industries, including the insurance sector. She leads the team in legal due diligence exercises for mergers and acquisitions, post-acquisition integration and corporate restructuring deals; in advising insurance companies on corporate restructuring and a range of insurance regulatory matters; in analyzing various commercial contracts; in providing legal advice in relation to Trade Competition Law; and in advising on corporate structures and corporate restructuring, corporate management and control, and mergers and acquisitions, including drafting and commenting on shareholder agreements and joint venture agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted one of the major insurance groups in Germany and Europe and its Thailand affiliate in bidding process for the acquisition of shares majority equity interest in a non-life insurer listed in the Stock Exchange of Thailand, which has been suffering from distressed financial situation due to claim payment under Covid-19 lump sum policies.
- Assisted a Thai insurance company in drafting and negotiating a 10-year exclusive bancassurance agreement with a Thai bank which replaces the current bancassurance arrangement between the client and the Thai bank that began in 2009.
- Assisted a leading insurance and investment organization, providing commercial property and casualty insurance, including travel and accident coverage, to almost every imaginable business and industry in virtually every part of the world in bidding for the acquisition of shares in a member of market-leading companies from its existing shareholders including the holdings company and the other minority shareholders.
- Assisted a Japanese Insurance Group with the business integration of its entities in Thailand with launching the integrated entity amalgamation. This marks the second amalgamation in the insurance industry, making Baker McKenzie Bangkok Office the only law firm in Thailand to have successfully carried out two amalgamations in the sector
- Assisted a life insurance company to amalgamate with another life insurance company forming a new company.
- Assisted an American multinational insurers in respect of business integration of its licensed insurance insurers in Thailand via entire business transfer. Our involvement in this transaction includes seeking approval for having more than 49% foreign shareholding in the surviving entity.
- Assisted the Thai insurance regulator in a project called Regulatory Guillotine. The project's main objective is to evaluate over 300 current sub-regulations issued by the OIC to assess if they should be retained, revised, replaced or removed.
- Assisted a Thai SET-listed company in a share-swap and cash deals with a foreign insurer, German insurer Allianz worth as much as USD 242 million.
- Assisted multinational insurance firms in seeking an evergreen exemption to the foreign shareholding restriction that would allow a foreign shareholder to continue holding approximately 99.5% shares in a Thai licensed non-life insurer.
- Assisted an insurance company to provide legal advice and services in relation to the Company’s restructuring which include the process of tender offer, public offering, relisting shares in a new company on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (the “SET”) and delisting shares in the Company from the SET, and the insurance regulatory matters.
- Assisted one of the major insurance groups in Germany and Europe on the options for increasing its shareholding in a Thai insurance, and the regulatory requirements and process of obtaining an approval for majority foreign shareholding from the Minister of Finance (MOF) on the ground of enhancement of the company's business and the insurance industry.
- Assisted an insurance company with regulatory advice to a leading general insurer on the initial stages of applying for 100% foreign shareholding, by assessing the most appropriate route to carry out a business integration of their Thailand operations.
- 'Band 1' in Competition / Antitrust, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2023
- 'Band 2' in Insurance, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2018-2023
- 'Spotlight Table' in Competition and Antitrust, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2022
- 'In-House Community Commended External Counsel of the Year, 2019
- 'Recognized Practitioner', Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (2002)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM) (2006)
- Thammasat University (LLB, Honors) (2001)
- Conducted training session, "Merger Control Seminar for M&A team" for a Thai state-owned SET-listed oil and gas company, September 2022
- Conducted exclusive training session, "Director liabilities" for a multinational insurance and finance corporation's executive committee, July 2022
- Conducted training session, "Legal Implications on Sustainability Initiatives in APAC - Anti-Trust" for an American multinational food, snack, and beverage corporation, August 2022
- Conducted training session, "Trade Competition" for a French personal care company, 2022
- Conducted training session, "Competition Annual Training for Sales and Procurement team" for an American multinational food, snack, and beverage corporation, 2021
- Conducted training session, "Trade competition Training" for an American multinational food, snack, and beverage corporation, 2021
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.