Alexander Korchagin is a counsel at the Almaty office of Baker McKenzie.
Mr. Korchagin practices in the areas of banking and finance, capital markets, antitrust and competition.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Steering Committee of Creditors of BTA Bank, on two restructurings of approximately USD12 billion in obligations, first in 2010 and again in 2012. The transactions are the largest corporate debt restructuring in the history of emerging markets.
- Counseled Rompetrol Group N.V., a subsidiary of KazMunaiGaz, in connection with a USD250 million club loan facility arranged by Citibank, JP Morgan, Raiffeisen, RBS and Unicredit, guaranteed by KazMunaiGaz.
- Advising Export-Import Bank of China in connection with a USD1.1 billion loan to Atyrau Refinery, guaranteed by KazMunaiGaz.
- Advising Asian Development Bank in connection with loans to two large Kazakhstani power companies (pending).
- Assisted underwriters JP Morgan, Citigroup and ING, in connection with an indirect Eurobond USD450 million Guaranteed Note issuance by Zhaikmunai, an independent oil and gas enterprise listed on the London Stock Exchange, in 2010.
- Advised underwriters Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, GMP Securities Europe, Standard Bank, VTB Capital, Mirabaud Securities, Halyk Finance, in connection with USD560 million Eurobond offering by Zhaikmunai International BV in 2012.
- Representing underwriters JPMorgan and BNP Paribas, in connection with a USD500 million direct Eurobond offering by Kazatomprom.
- Advised Eurasian Development Bank on an update of its USD3.5 billion medium term note program, with notes due in 2014 (intermediated cash tender) and in 2020. The new notes were listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD) in connection with its acquisition of shares in a Kazakhstani bank and conversion of the bank into an Islamic bank.
- Representing lead manager ING in an international IPO (pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S) of GDRs by Kazakhstan Kagazy plc. The GDRs are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Kazakhstan~Kazakhstan (2003)
- Kyrgyzstan (1985)
- UCONN School of Law (LL.M.) (1998)
- Kyrgyz State University (J.D.) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein