Gerrit is a counsel at the Baker McKenzie Amsterdam and has recently been with HHP Law Firm in Jakarta, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International. Gerrit has more than 15 years of experience assisting multinational clients in cross-border transactions in both Asia and Europe. He specializes in M&A transactions with an Indonesian angle, acting for both private equity and strategic parties. Gerrit works across different sectors and industries. In addition, to M&A work Gerrit advises also on corporate restructurings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero) Tbk in the strategic partnership in PT Asuransi BRI Life, a life insurance company, under an auction process. The selected bidder will subscribe for new shares in PT Asuransi BRI Life. As part of the transaction, PT Asuransi BRI Life will enter into a strategic distribution agreement with PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
- Acted as deal counsel for a multinational technology conglomerate holding company in its minority investment in Series A fundraising in Ajaib, an Indonesian online investment app.
- Acted as deal counsel for a multinational technology conglomerate holding company in its minority investment in Series D fundraising in Stockbit/Bibit, an Indonesian robo-advisor app.
- Assisted a multinational technology conglomerate holding company with the purchase of ~5% secondary shares in Achilles Systems Pte. Ltd. (OnlinePajak) from Alpha JWC, Primedge Technology Holdings Pte. Ltd. and Muhamad Chatib Basri.
- Advising Indonesian Insurtech company PasarPolis on USD 54 million series B funding
- Acted as the lead counsel for PT Astra Digital Internasional, a subsidiary of PT Astra International Tbk (Astra), on its investment in Indonesia's largest healthtech platform Halodoc.
- Advising Grab on its strategic investment in LinkAja, a leading Indonesian e-payment company, via a competitive bid process.
- Advising Vale Canada and PT Vale Indonesia (PTVI) on the proposed sale and purchase of shares in PTVI to PT Indonesian Asahan Aluminium (Persero) (Inalum), a state-owned enterprise holding company focused on mining, in order to fulfil PTVI's divestment requirement as mandated under its Contract of Work.
- Assisting Zurich Insurance Group AG in their acquisition of an 80% stake in Indonesian insurer Asuransi Adira Dinamika from PT Bank Danamon Indonesia Tbk. The transaction includes long-term distribution agreements with Bank Danamon, and separately with Adira Finance; which primarily provides consumer financing for motorcycles and cars in Indonesia.
- Advising LafargeHolcim on the disposal of its 80.6 percent interest in Holcim Indonesia to Semen Indonesia, for an enterprise value of USD 1.75 billion on a 100 percent basis.
- Ranked Band 2 for Corporate/M&A: Foreign Legal Consultant in Chambers 2022
- University of Leiden (Law) (2005)
- University of Technology (Delft, Technology, Policy and Management) (2004)