Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Maki Kawamura is a member of the Real Estate Practice Group at Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. She has more than 10 years of legal experience and is fluent in English. Maki was recognized in the 2017- 2021 editions of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Japan: Real Estate, as a Next Generation Lawyer / Rising Star and as a Next Generation Partner (within an international firm or joint venture) in the 2022 edition.
Maki focuses on estate transactions. She advises clients on real property acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and financing involving office, residential, commercial, retail and resort projects. She also handles issues for Japanese clients investing overseas and cross-border M&A.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a foreign company on its acquisition of a large hotel in Tokyo.
- Advised foreign companies on their development of residential apartments, a data center and a factory.
- Advised a Japanese company on its overseas investments in Asian countries by providing research and advice on real property development licenses and investment in local companies, including the preparation of reports.
- Advised a foreign-based fund on its acquisition of ski resorts.
- Advised foreign companies on their office leases in Japan (including the preparation of agreements).
- Advised foreign companies on their retail leases in Japan (including the preparation of agreements).
- Assisted foreign companies with their investments in Japan by offering advice on structuring, incorporation of local companies in Japan and real property development licenses, including the preparation of reports and agreements.
- Advised foreign companies on the sale and purchase of real estate in Japan, including the preparation of agreements.
- Represented a government agency, a major Japanese bank and a Japanese company by preparing agreements and providing legal advice on emissions trading within Japan, Asia and countries in Eastern Europe.
- Next Generation Lawyers, Japan: Real Estate: Bengoshi (within international firms and joint ventures), The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017-2021
- Next Generation Partners, Japan: Real Estate: Bengoshi (within international firms and joint ventures), The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Japan (2007)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (2001)
Co-author, "Chambers GLOBAL PRACTICE GUIDES - Construction Law 2022," Chambers and Partners
Co-author, "Chambers GLOBAL PRACTICE GUIDES - Construction Law 2021," Chambers and Partners
Co-author, "Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia - from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal," Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "World Legal & Business Guide No. 1 Indonesia," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, April 2011
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.