Jacob M. Kaplan is a partner in Baker McKenzie, New York. He focuses on international litigation and arbitration, and has participated in several high-profile contract and financial services cases. Before joining the Firm, he clerked for the Honorable Milton Pollack of the Southern District of New York and interned for the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jacob serves as counsel in disputes concerning contract, energy, investment, construction, commodities, financial services, insurance, and intellectual property, among other matters. He has appeared in state and federal courts as well as a variety of institutional and ad hoc arbitral forums.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully defended a leading financial services firm against claims filed in the New York Supreme Court involving a revolving credit facility agreement worth USD 2.815 billion.
- Obtained dismissal from the New York Supreme Court of claims for alleged theft and use of trade secrets by prominent technology company to secure wind and solar projects worth over USD 5 billion.
- Represented a nuclear insurance provider in several arbitration proceedings, including proceedings to address repair and replacement claims of over USD 2.5 billion and USD 900 million.
- Defended a leading investment management firm against Australian avoidance claims with an estimated value of AUD 210 million filed in the US District Court, Southern District of New York.
- Defended Germany-based parent companies in the US District Court of Massachusetts in a multidistrict product liability action relating to pharmaceutical products manufactured by its US subsidiaries.
- Successfully defended global companies in the infrastructure and energy industries against discovery requests brought during an UNCITRAL arbitration pursuant to 28 USC § 1782.
- Represented high net worth individuals in the division of assets valued at approximately USD 2 billion held in Swiss and Bermuda trusts.
- Won a motion to transfer a contract dispute action worth USD 32 million from a federal district court in Missouri to the Southern District of New York.
- Represented officers and directors of an internet access and hosting business against claims of securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and unjust enrichment brought by a private equity fund before the New York Supreme Court.
- Represented one of the largest chemical manufacturing companies in India against claims of breach of contract, trade secrets misappropriation, and violations of RICO and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in the US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- "Rising Star" in 2013, New York Law Journal
- "Rising Star" in 2011, 2012, and 2013, Super Lawyers
- Listed among the 2013 Top 40 Litigation Lawyers Under 40 in the State of New York, American Society of Legal Advocates
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Arbitration Club of New York - Secretary (2010 to present)
- New York City Bar Association - Member and Secretary of the Arbitration Committee (2005-2006)
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Group
- Successfully argued an asylum case for an Ivory Coast refugee in an asylum hearing in New York
- New York~United States (2003)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2016)
- Columbia Law School (J.D.) (2002)
- Yale University (B.A. History) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.