Ian acts for unsecured and secured creditors, insolvency appointees and debtors, in contentious and non-contentious insolvency work, including complex administrations and receiverships in a number of industries.
He has wide experience in dispute resolution and litigation across a broad range of organisations in both the public and private sectors within Australia and overseas. Ian has acted in courts in jurisdictions in Australia, and has instructed on various matters outside the country.
His recent experience includes acting in energy and resources disputes, administrative law litigation including challenges to major project approvals, and asset recovery work in international jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the directors of an ASX listed company on solvency issues in the period prior to the appointment of administrators and receivers.
- Resolved a dispute for an investment bank arising out of a failed joint venture property development, resolving the course of commercial list Supreme Court litigation.
- Represented a major international miner in the Queensland Supreme Court (including obtaining urgent freezing and search orders), and also in the Family Court, for Australian and international entities arising out of a major fraud.
- Acted for provisional liquidators and liquidators of an ASX listed financial services group, on investigations into the potential misappropriation of investor’s funds, advising across the range of businesses operated by the group and assisting on asset sales.
- Assisted a major creditor in the administration of a resources company in relation to the risk of secured claims being bound by a proposed Deed of Company Arrangement.
- Acted in litigation in the Supreme Court of Queensland clarifying the disclosure powers of the Land Court of Queensland.
- Defended judicial review proceedings for several clients challenging mining-related approvals for major coal projects in Queensland.
- Acted as the instructing solicitor for a client which was the significant focus of a Queensland Commission of Inquiry.
- Obtained successive urgent injunctions in the Federal Court against the CFMEU over industrial action at two sites in Brisbane.
- Defended and resolved misleading and deceptive conduct proceedings brought against a bank in the Family Court in the course of recovery proceedings against a Gold Coast property developer customer.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association - Member
- Queensland~Australia (1999)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1999)
- University of Queensland (LL.B. Hons) (1996)
- University of Queensland (B.A.) (1994)