Anastasia Herasimovich is a partner in the Firm's Real Estate Practice Group in Chicago. Anastasia advises a wide range of clients, including Fortune 500 and publicly traded companies, on all aspects of commercial real estate law with a particular focus on domestic and cross-border construction projects and real estate aspects of corporate transactions. Anastasia has worked on many high-profile construction projects involving commercial, industrial, warehouse, retail, mixed-use and religious properties in 100+ jurisdictions. She also has significant experience in structuring and managing the domestic and global real estate portfolios of multinational companies.
Anastasia brings her diverse international experience to her clients and pro bono work. She has lived and worked in the US, Germany, Great Britain, Switzerland, Russia and Belarus. Anastasia provided expert support to the United Nations (UN) and the Belarusian government on the development of Law on Public-Private Partnerships and high-level policy frameworks. Anastasia also practiced law in Moscow where she advised large European companies on multi-million transactions. She also served on an in-house legal team of a leading North American independent power producer and was a legal consultant to a Swiss investment bank on infrastructure projects in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Anastasia is a strong pro bono advocate, a Co-Chair of the Eurasia/Russia Committee of the American Bar Association and a Co-Founder of the NA-CIS Initiative at the Firm.
Anastasia represents domestic and international owners, lenders, developers, contractors, architects and engineering firms in all phases of construction projects, from site selection and acquisition, handling design agreements for complex state-of-the-art facilities to structuring and completion of the construction using various delivery and pricing models. She is experienced in large construction transactions involving retail stores, churches, power plants, refineries and commercial buildings. Anastasia has ample experience in structuring and managing multi-site and multi-jurisdictional construction programs in the US and globally.
Anastasia also advises national and global clients on real estate aspects of complex corporate transactions, including transfers of large real estate portfolios, leasing, finance, property management and land use matters. Anastasia's practice also includes counseling on foreign investments and public-private partnerships, including relating to Russia/CIS.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represent Firm's major client in connection with its worldwide multi-million construction projects in 100+ jurisdictions, from development of structuring memoranda and services agreements to structuring, drafting and negotiating complex design and construction documents using various pricing and project delivery models (design-bid-build, design-build, construction management, etc.).
- Ongoing representation of Firm's key corporate clients in connection with (i) redevelopment, remodeling and fit out projects and (ii) real estate advisory relating to corporate reorganizations.
- Represented a luxury fashion retailer in a post-merger integration of 250+ US commercial properties as a result of US$2.4 billion merger with a luxury fashion company.
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in the integration of multiple commercial properties in the US and 20+ jurisdictions as a result of US$400 million spin off sale of automotive business segment.
- Serve as global construction counsel to a leading architectural and engineering firm and advise on initial entry into foreign jurisdictions and licensing requirements.
- Represented one of Europe's biggest grocery chains in connection with construction of 60+ stores and distribution centers in the US valued at US$300 million.
- Advised a leading international beverage producer on construction of US$2 billion manufacturing facility in Latin America based on complex CMA and CMR delivery models.
- Advised a major Russian power generating company in connection with project financing, EPC/EPCM and equipment lease negotiations for modernization of its power facilities.
- Advised sponsors, owners and lenders in connection with construction loans and PPP arrangements in the US and globally.
- Represented a large European transportation group in its US$250 million acquisition of a controlling stake in a leading metro construction group.
- Pro Bono: Led teams in developing (i) the Nepalese corporate social responsibility policy, (ii) the Iraqi Human Rights Commission Act, (iii) the UN policy on international assistance relating to capturing pirates, (iv) advisory memoranda relating to best practices for post-conflict national constitutions, (v) the handbook on legal mechanisms and rights available to unaccompanied children crossing borders in various foreign jurisdictions, (vi) the legal framework and practical implementation of national political dialogue mechanisms in Sudan, (vii) the Law on Public-Private Partnerships in Africa, (viii) assessment of UN SC Resolution 1325 implementation relating to women's rights in Africa, and (ix) corporate governance documents for various Firm's clients.
- 2019 Transaction Innovation Group Award Finalist (presented to Principals at 2019 Annual Meeting in London)
- 2019 ABA Award for Outstanding Annual Meeting Program of Eurasia/Russia Committee
- 2018 Best Pro Bono Project "RED" Award
- 2017 ABA Award for Most Improved Committee (Eurasia/Russia Committee)
- 2015 - present - United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Roster of PPP Experts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- United Nations Association - Board Member
- American Bar Association - Forum on Construction Law
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law, Russia/Eurasia Committee (Co-Chair)
- American Institute of Architects - Member
- World Business Chicago, Moscow Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International, Chair of Business Affairs
- The Executives' Club of Chicago - Leadership Circle Member
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs - Member
- Illinois~United States (2011)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D. International Law) (2010)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M., Honors) (2008)
- Swarthmore College (B.A. Political Science and German) (2006)
- European Humanities University (Bachelor's Degree Law, magna cum laude) (2005)
- Europa Univ. Frankfurt/Oder (Exchange) (2004)
Ongoing development of legal updates and alerts on construction law.
Contributing drafter, 2016 Annual Review of Russian and Belarusian Laws on Public-Private Partnerships, ABA International Law Section
Contributing drafter, 2014 Annual Review of International Investment and Development in Belarus, ABA International Law Section
Speaker, "Common Issues and Trends in Construction Law: Best International Practices", Global Construction Conference organized by Ministry of Architecture and Construction, Minsk, Belarus, 2019
Co-organizer, 2016 Eurasian Business Forum, Baker & McKenzie LLP in Chicago in cooperation with the Moscow Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International
Moderator, "PPP's Role in Development of the Investment Climate in Belarus," International Entrepreneurship Week, Belarus, 2015
Speaker, "Legal Representation of PPP Projects: Best International Practices" and "EPC Contracts in PPPs," Global PPP Days, Belarus, 2014
Firm Committee Memberships
- Chicago Associate Committee
- Pro Bono Committee