Łukasz Hejmej heads the Firm’s Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practice groups in Warsaw. Mr. Hejmej’s practice focuses on financial institutions’ liability, securities and shareholders litigation. He was involved in the Civil Law Reform Commission concerning the introduction of a new law on group litigation into the Polish legal system.
Mr. Hejmej has a wide experience in commercial disputes, both in litigation and arbitration. He primarily focuses on financial institutions’ liability and securities litigation, advising mainly insurance companies, banks and securities brokers on issues related to D&O, IPO, BBB and PI insurance claims, professional malpractice claims, currency and commodity derivatives, as well as restructuring and bankruptcy. He also has experience in shareholders litigation and other kinds of corporate disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented banks and other creditors in several bankruptcy proceedings conducted in Poland.
- Advised a leading American private equity fund in distress restructuring of their investment in a Polish company operating in the oil industry.
- Acted for a Polish subsidiary of a leading German bank in the first group litigation in Poland concerning the alleged improper modifications of interest rates under mortgage loans denominated in Swiss francs during the financial crisis.
- Counseled a leading Polish bank in two group litigation cases concerning the alleged irregularities in selling their financial products.
- Represented several Polish subsidiaries of international banks on potential liability arising out of the alleged misselling of currency derivative transactions to Polish companies exposed to currency risks due to export operations.
- Advised a leading US insurance group and a leading German insurance group in several claims on the alleged mismanagement related to entering into both currency and commodity derivative transactions worth EUR150 million.
- Assisted a leading US insurance group in a claim concerning the liability of directors and officers of a publicly-listed company on an alleged breach of information duties.
- Advised numerous leading international financial institutions in relation to BBB (Bankers Blanket Bond) claims concerning losses resulting from infidelity of bank employees valued at EUR50 million.
- Acted for a leading securities broker in Poland in a USD16 million claim raised by a US investment bank alleging malpractice in performing brokerage services.
- Counseled a financial arm of a large US holding group in a USD37 million claim raised against one of the big four audit firms related to professional malpractice in performing tax advisory services.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar of Advocates - Member
- Warsaw~Poland (2007)
- Columbia University (New York) (Master of Laws LL.M., Honors) (2006)
- Warsaw University (Master Degree Legal Studies, Honors) (2002)
- British Centre at Warsaw University in cooperation with Cambridge University (Certificate English and European Law) (2000)
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa