John Hall is an Associate in Baker McKenzie's Employment & Compensation Practice Group.
John joined the firm as a trainee in March 2015. During his training contract, John completed a six-month employment secondment with UBS. He is currently undertaking a part-time secondment with Facebook as part of their EMEA employment legal team.
John advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious employment law matters across a wide variety of sectors, including manufacturing, retail, and financial services.
John assists with employment-related disputes, provides day-to-day general counsel support for employment queries, and co-ordinates global employment projects. His practice also includes assisting on the employment and privacy aspects of global and local compliance and internal investigations.
Representative Legal Matters
Recent relevant experience includes:
- Advising a large financial institution on a complex tribunal claim, involving allegations of age discrimination and victimisation.
- Assisting a global manufacturer of musical instruments on the employment and data privacy aspects of an internal investigation following the announcement of an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority and other European regulators, including coordinating advice across a number of European countries.
- Working with senior HR of a global pharmaceutical company on all employment aspects of their expansion into EMEA, including developing employment agreements / policies and advising on implementation , as well as coordinating advice in other European countries.
- Advising a global engineering services company on the employment aspects of a USD 150 million strategic acquisition, spanning 22 jurisdictions.
- Providing a range of day-to-day employment advice to a luxury West End hotel, including disciplinary proceedings, grievances, sickness absence and negotiated exits.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of Baker McKenzie's global LGBTQ support network, 'BakerAllies'.
- Volunteer and fundraiser for a number of charities including Richard House Children's Hospice, Macmillan Cancer Support and DKMS (previously Delete Blood Cancer UK).
- New South Wales~Australia (2017)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2017)
- University of Leeds (History BA Hons)
- University of Law (Law LL.B. Hons)
- Co-Author, "Opportunities within the unrest: key compliance challenges for global employers", Compliance and Risk, November / December 2019
- Co-Author, "Acquihire deals: buying technology in the 21st century", PLC Magazine, July 2018