Fermín Guardiola has been a partner at Baker McKenzie since 1995. He heads the Firm’s Labor & Employment Practice Group in Madrid and has over 20 years of experience in his area of practice. He is consistently recognized by Chambers Europe and Legal 500 as a leading lawyer in his field. In addition to his practice, Mr. Guardiola regularly collaborates with economic newspapers and has co-authored several reference monographs on labor and employment matters. He is a co-founder and director of Forelab, the prominent Spanish Labor Lawyers Association and also an arbitrator of the Madrid Bar Association Court of Arbitration.
Mr. Guardiola advises domestic and multinational companies on a broad range of labor and employment matters. His practice is particularly focused on collective labor negotiations and litigation, especially in restructurings and layoffs resulting from mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Guardiola also has extensive experience in negotiating collective bargaining agreements, equality plans and executive terminations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on union related dispute for a major US contractor in Spain.
- Representing major firms in the banking/finance, IT and consumer products industries with major downsizings and restructuring of employee benefits involving hundreds or thousands of employees.
- Numerous negotiations and litigation in executive dismissal claims and in harassment claims for over USD1 million.
- Advising on the labor and employment aspects of the mergers of two multinationals and resulting restructuring, including hundreds of lay-offs.
- Advising and representing national and local unions in negotiations in employment strikes.
- Assisting in negotiations of equality plans to bring companies into compliance with legal requirements on anti-discrimination measures.
- Madrid~Spain (1988)
- Valencia~Spain (1986)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Diploma Corporate Law) (1989)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Diploma Labor Law) (1988)
- Valencia University (Law Degree) (1986)