José María González has been a Baker McKenzie partner since 2003. His practice areas include corporate law, partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, banking, restructuring and notarial. He is a licensed public broker in Nuevo León and alternate notary public in Monterrey. José María is a public broker in Nuevo Leon and substitute notary public in Monterrey. He was a graduate professor at Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey and Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon Law School.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on corporate, tax and compliance matters and informed on the corporate governance obligations required from public companies before the authorities (including the National Banking and Securities Commission).
- Designed, negotiated and executed a substantial number of agreements for documenting the strategy for the purchase of, investment in and the association of companies in the mining, banking, telecommunications and food sectors in several countries, including Brazil, Canada, Mexico, United States and Venezuela.
- Arranged for the registration of securities for public companies, as well as in the negotiation and documentation for the restructuring of their liabilities, syndicated credits, trusts and control structures.
- Participated in legal revisions of corporate governance structures of insurance and pension funds divisions of financial institutions.
- Represented companies in the execution of joint venture agreements and securities purchase agreements for the acquisition of shares, assets or joint development of investment, supply and construction projects with companies in conciliation proceedings.
- Participated in the negotiation and design of trusts and legal structures for control, shelter, management and conveyance of wealth.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colegio de Corredores Públicos de la Plaza de Nuevo León, A.C. - Member
- Colegio de Notarios Públicos de Nuevo León - Member
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa - Member
- Monterrey~Mexico (1991)
- Harvard University (Certificate International Tax Law) (1993)
- Harvard University (LL.M.) (1993)
- University of Monterrey (Law Degree cum laude) (1990)
- Author, "How and when is appropriate to make your estate planning," www.Forbes.com.mx, 19 October 2015
- Author, "Three areas to update in the Mexican Corporate Law," www.Forbes.com.mx, 29 June 2015
- Co-author, " Financial Services chapter," NAFTA Handbook: A practice guide for doing business under NAFTA, Baker & McKenzie, 1994
- Speaker, "Investor: Evaluating Opportunities & Raising Capital," XXII Annual US-Mexico Bar Association Conference, 27 October 2016
- Speaker, "Investing in the Region: Great Opportunities," AMexCaP Private Equity Forum Nuevo Leon, 29 August 2016