Prof. Lukas Glanzmann heads the Firm's European Restructuring & Insolvency Steering Committee and is a member of the European Banking & Finance Steering Committee. He further co-heads the Swiss Banking & Finance as well as the Restructuring & Insolvency practice groups. He is ranked among the leading lawyers in his areas of practice by various publications, including Chambers.
Lukas Glanzmann graduated from the University of St. Gallen law school and obtained a doctoral degree in the field of corporate law from the University of St. Gallen and a LL.M. degree from Harvard Law School. In 2006, Lukas Glanzmann finished his habilitation and today, he holds the position of a titular professor of business law at the University of St. Gallen.
Lukas Glanzmann has published various articles and books in the fields of corporate, finance, accounting, restructuring and insolvency law. Since 2012 he has been a member of the Swiss Federal Commission of Experts for the Commercial Register.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Finance Parties in a CHF 1,500,000,000 credit financing for Swiss International Air Lines AG and Edelweiss Air AG with the Swiss Confederation acting as surety provider.
- Advised the Swiss participating banks in the structuring and negotiation of the COVID-19 Government-backed Loan Programme for Swiss SMEs with a total volume of CHF 40 billion and over 130,000 borrowers.
- Advised an international consortium of banks on the financial restructuring of a well-known international producer of fashion comprising a fully secured bridge with a comprehensive cross-border security package on three continents and delicate intercreditor issues. Further, the team advised the bank consortium on the consensual going concern sale of the debtor group and the related release of security.
- Advised a Swiss bank on the restructuring of several of its financings of Swiss shipping companies and its surety against the Swiss Government.
- Advised Swissmetal Industries AG on its filing for a moratorium (Nachlassstundung) as well as on its restructuring during the moratorium.
- Advised Swiss Similasan Group in connection with the establishment of a strategic alliance with France-based Laboratoires Thea S.A.S in the area of eye care products, in particular in the United States and Switzerland.
- Issued on a pro bono basis an expert opinion to the National Working Group on the Swiss Francs Reference Rate in connection with the compounded SARON (the Swiss LIBOR replacement rate).
- Served several times on a pro bono basis as expert in hearings of the Swiss Parliament.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Federal Commission of Experts for the Commercial Register - Member
- Switzerland (1993)
- University of St. Gallen (Titular Professor) (2012)
- University of St. Gallen (Privatdozent, associate professor) (2006)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1997)
- University of St. Gallen (Dr. iur.) (1996)
- University of St. Gallen (lic. iur.) (1991)
- Co-author "Aktuelle Entwicklungen im Gesellschaftsrecht (Inhaberaktie und Meldepflicht)," Baker McKenzie Breakfast Briefing, October 2019
- Author, Commentary on articles 7, 8, 31, 56 and 105 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015