Terry Gilroy is a partner in the New York office of Baker McKenzie and a member of the Compliance and Investigations Practice Group. Prior to joining the Firm in 2018, Terry served as Americas Head of the Financial Crime Legal function at Barclays. Prior to law school, Terry advised businesses and individuals on white collar and financial crime issues and has significant experience conducting investigations relating to compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and related bribery and corruption statutes, economic sanctions regulations as administered by the US Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the Bank Secrecy Act and related anti-money laundering (AML) regulations and statutes. Terry spent six years on active duty in the United States Army as a Field Artillery officer.
Representative Legal Matters
- Negotiated USD 2.5 million settlement with OFAC relating to alleged violations of OFAC’s Zimbabwe Sanctions Regulations.
- Engaged directly with OFAC and US Department of State officials on issues relating to application of US economic sanctions, including those targeting Russia.
- Managed internal response to investigation by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) into whether relationships with third parties who were retained to assist in winning or retaining business were compliant with the FCPA.
- Managed internal response to investigation by DOJ and SEC into hiring practices in Asia and other jurisdictions.
- Provided substantive briefings to the DOJ, SEC, U.K. Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and U.K. Prudential Regulatory Authority (PRA) on various issues.
- Prepared and submitted to OFAC numerous voluntary self disclosure (VSD) letters concerning potential violations of OFAC regulations.
- New York~United States (2007)
- St. John's University, School of Law (JD cum laude) (2006)
- United States Military Academy (BS) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.