Kate is an associate in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team in London.
Kate has recently been seconded to one of the Firm's PLC clients. Kate sat within the organisation's Ethics & Compliance team, working directly for the Head of Ethics & Compliance, advising on matters relating to anti-bribery and corruption, financial crime and data protection.
During her training contract, Kate spent six months on a client secondment to Shell International Limited, sitting within its Intellectual Property department. Kate spent a further three months on secondment in the Dispute Resolution department of the Firm's Singapore office, primarily advising clients in respect of arbitrations in the Asia-Pacific region.
Representative Legal Matters
Recent matters in which Kate has been involved include:
- Acting for an international science and chemicals company in connection with an investigation into suspected bribery of foreign public officials, across multiple jurisdictions.
- Acting for an international logistics company in a multiparty claim worth GBP 58 million. The claim was brought against one of the company's former directors and his co-conspirators, in connection with secret commissions made by the defendants at the company's expense.
- Acting for a major international bank in a dispute with a number of hedge funds. The High Court proceedings (under the Financial List) involved allegations of sophisticated share price manipulation and issues relating to the construction of complex convertible bond derivatives worth in excess of USD 30 million.
- Acting for a prominent Middle Eastern bank in related sets of proceedings in the English High Court and elsewhere relating to its recovery of USD 500 million lost as a result of fraud.
- Advising a multi-national company on its potential liability under the Fraud Act 2006 and it anti-money laundering obligations.
- Acting for a brokerage firm in relation to proceedings before the High Court for alleged dishonest assistance and insolvency based claims connected to an alleged carousel fraud, amounting to around GBP 30 million.
- Acting for the claimant in a multibillion dollar dispute in Bermuda, Hong Kong and the USA, seeking to set aside purpose trusts established by a family faction.
- Acting for an oil major in concurrent UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings, arising out of the disposal of its downstream business in Denmark.
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian insurance company in an LCIA arbitration concerning a transfer of shares.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
Kate has assisted on a number of matters for Baker McKenzie's pro bono clients, including the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and Save the Children.
Kate is a member of the firm's Charity Committee. In 2016, Kate ran the London Marathon, raising over GBP 3,000 for Richard House Children's Hospice, one of the office's nominated charities.
- University of Edinburgh (First Class Honours MA in History) (2012)
- University of Law (Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course)