Richard Gassmann is a senior member of the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Zurich, and serves as member of the Private Banking Practice Group. He has extensive experience in dispute resolution, particularly on cross-border litigation, trust and estate disputes and international arbitration. He also advises clients on international private law, complex multijurisdictional structures, debt enforcement, restructuring and bankruptcy law. Mr. Gassmann lectures both at the University of St. Gallen and the University of Liechtenstein on topics connected with his field of specialisation and is a recurring speaker at seminars. He has served for many years as the Head of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of the Zurich office. Mr. Gassmann is the author of various articles and commentaries on matters concerning conflict of laws, cross-border insolvency and dispute resolution.
He is a member of STEP, the Swiss Arbitration Association, the Société Suisse de Droit Internationale and the Association LP.
Mr. Gassmann has represented numerous individuals and companies on international arbitration proceedings, specifically in ICC and UNCITRAL. Working collaboratively with the Private Banking groups in Geneva, Zurich and London, Mr. Gassmann also advises Swiss and foreign clients on trust and estate issues, particularly in relation to conflict of laws, compliance and litigation matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised both beneficiaries and trustees in various disputes relating to trust matters.
- Represented heirs in complex inheritance disputes.
- Acted for an international service provider in an arbitration initiated by one of its former partners.
- Advised the receiver of an insolvent multinational holding company in connection with various cross- border disputes and claims between the various insolvent group companies.
- Represented various insolvent companies in connection with effecting composition schemes and distressed M&A.
- Represented a large telecommunication services provider in an arbitration against a software developer for claims for non-performance of contract.
- Advised a Swiss manufacturer of dairy products and various other Swiss companies in Swiss restructuring proceedings.
- Counseled an East European software development company against a US company relating to various claims under a software development agreement.
- Acted for a US telecommunications provider in arbitration regarding telecommunication services provided.
- Represented a German multinational company in arbitration regarding a dispute with its joint venture partners.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Switzerland (1996)
- University of Zurich (Dr. iur.) (1996)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (1990)
"Commentary on Art. 149a-165 IPRG," Schulthess-Kommentar zu ZGB/OR, 3rd Edition, Zurich, 2016
Author, Commentary on articles 163, 163b, 163c, 164a and 164b of the Swiss Federal Act on Private International Law, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
"Das international organisierte Unternehmen in der Krise" (together with Florian Bommer), Internationales Wirtschaftsrecht, Handbuch für die Anwaltspraxis, Basel, 2015, p. 683 et seqq
"Die Durchsetzung von Minderheitsrechten unter Berücksichtigung der neuen ZPO," GesKR, Zürich, 2012
"Commentary on Art. 149a-165 IPRG," Schulthess-Kommentar zu ZGB/OR, 2nd Edition, Zurich, 2012