Ghada El Ehwany heads the Firm's corporate and commercial practice in Egypt. She has nearly 20 years’ experience in the Middle East, particularly in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, focusing on corporate and commercial transactions. Ghada was formerly a counsel and Knowledge Manager of the UAE offices having been based in Dubai since 2013, and has returned to Baker McKenzie’s Cairo office, Helmy, Hamza & Partners, where she has previously worked for 14 years.
Ghada practices in corporate, commercial and labor matters with a specific focus on mergers and acquisitions, healthcare regulatory, insolvency, compliance, TMT, compliance, investigations and dispute resolution matters. She develops and delivers Continuing Legal Practice Development training courses accredited by the Dubai Legal Affairs Department on a wide range of UAE legal issues and legislative developments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Dongfeng Motor Group Company Ltd. in connection with advising on a cooperation with ElNasr Automotive Manufacturing Company and Metallurgical Industries Holding intended to locally manufacturing electric vehicles in Egypt, which is the first EV JV.
- Acted for a consortium that consists of the Suez Canal Economic Zone (SC Zone) and the Sovereign Fund of Egypt (TESFU) along with a private-sector investors, including: Samcreete Investments Holding, Hassan Allam Holding, Orascom Construction, and Connect Information Technology, in relation to the project contracts and for setting up a specialized manufacturing company, the National Egyptian for Railroad Industries Company (NERIC).
- Acted for the Sovereign Fund of Egypt in connection with establishing the SPV to carry out a project comprising the establishment, construction, operation and maintenance of 6 medical supplies warehouses in different geographical locations in the Arab republic of Egypt. First project modernize medical supplies storage facilities using high technology.
- Acted for a British multinational pharmaceutical company in connection with the sale of its share through a mandatory tender offer.
- Advised an American multinational consumer goods corporation on major employment matters including profit share and incentive scheme.
- Assisted an American multinational pharmaceutical company in relation to a number of post-completion matters further to the spin-off of another American pharmaceutical company business and employees.
- Advised a defense contractor on post-contractual obligations in the UAE.
- Advised a crowdfunding start-up on setting up a financially regulated entity in the DIFC.
- Advised a major multinationals operating in the Middle East on the impact of the Qatar diplomatic crisis and how to adapt their business operations to comply with the embargo on Qatar.
- Advised an FMCG client in relation to the first competition filing in the UAE in relation to an acquisition in the UAE.
- Ranked as a "Rising Star Partner" in IFLR1000 31st Edition, 2022
- Recognized as an "Influencer and Thought Leader" for TMT - Africa Middle East by Lexology for Q4, 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Egypt (2000)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (LLB Business Law) (2000)
- Cairo University (BA) (2000)
- Co-author, "Egypt: Government issues new data protection law," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 28 September 2020
- Co-author, "Egypt: Changes to income tax law raise top rate to 25%," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 30 June 2020
- Co-author, "Investment in Education in Egypt: New Regulations," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 13 February 2020
- Co-author, "Egypt: Foreign Investment Reporting Requirements Enforced," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 December 2019
- Author, "Insolvency: Putting the Focus on Debt restructuring," Emirates Law, April 2017
- Co-author, "Case Focus: XYZ Bank v. Mr ABC," Emirates Law, April 2016
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.