Ghada El Ehwany has nearly 20 years’ experience in the Middle East, particularly in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, focusing on corporate and commercial transactions. Ghada was formerly a counsel and Knowledge Manager of the UAE offices having been based in Dubai since 2013, and has returned to Baker McKenzie’s Cairo office, Helmy, Hamza & Partners, where she has previously worked for 14 years.
Ghada specializes in corporate, commercial and labor matters with a specific focus on mergers and acquisitions, healthcare regulatory, insolvency, compliance, investigations and dispute resolution matters. She has also developed and delivered Continuing Legal Practice Development training courses accredited by the Dubai Legal Affairs Department on a wide range of UAE legal issues and legislative developments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a defense contractor on post-contractual obligations in the UAE.
- Advised a crowdfunding start-up on setting up a financially regulated entity in the DIFC.
- Advised a major multinationals operating in the Middle East on the impact of the Qatar diplomatic crisis and how to adapt their business operations to comply with the embargo on Qatar.
- Advised an FMCG client in relation to the first competition filing in the UAE in relation to an acquisition in the UAE.
- Acted as advisor for a leading pharmaceuticals company in relation to its acquisition of a local pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in the UAE.
- Acted as local counsel for lenders in the financing of the Egyptian Refining Company Project related to a hydro-cracking complex in Egypt with an estimated value of USD 2 billion.
- Acted as Egyptian local counsel for lenders in the financing of various oil concessions operations in Egypt including Kuwait Energy, Circle Oil, Melrose and Sea Dragon.
- Acted as counsel for Commercial International Bank Egypt (CIB), Ahli United Bank (Egypt) S.A.E (AUBE), and International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with financing the establishment of a greenfield plant in Ain El Sokhna, Egypt, for producing 1,200 tons per day of polyethylene terephthalate with a total investment cost of USD 204.900 million by the Egyptian Indian Polyester Company.
- Acted as sponsors' local counsel for Egyptian Agrium Nitrogen Products Company SAE (EAgrium) in connection with development of its USD 1.4 billion petrochemical complex.
- Acted as lender's local counsel in respect of the financing of approximately USD 700 million methanol project carried out by the Egyptian Methanex Methanol Company SAE.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association - Member
- Egypt (2000)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (LLB Business Law) (2000)
- Cairo University (BA) (2000)
- Author, "Insolvency: Putting the Focus on Debt restructuring," Emirates Law, April 2017
- Co-author, "Case Focus: XYZ Bank v. Mr ABC," Emirates Law, April 2016