Ghada El Ehwany is a counsel in Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla's UAE Corporate practice. Based in Dubai since 2013 and as Knowledge Manager of the UAE offices since 2014, Ghada was formerly a senior associate at Baker McKenzie’s Cairo office, Helmy, Hamza & Partners, for many years.
Ghada is recognized in her field in Chambers (Egypt). She is active across a wide range of financing transactions, and was part of a team advising IFC on the financing of an expansion for Galaxy Chemicals Egypt. Ranked as "Up and Coming" in Banking & Finance and "Associates to Watch," She is also recognized by clients and peers alike for her negotiation skills and dedication to client service.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a defense contractor on post-contractual obligations in the UAE.
- Advised a crowdfunding start-up on setting up a financially regulated entity in the DIFC.
- Advised a major multinationals operating in the Middle East on the impact of the Qatar diplomatic crisis and how to adapt their business operations to comply with the embargo on Qatar.
- Advised an FMCG client in relation to the first competition filing in the UAE in relation to an acquisition in the UAE.
- Acted as advisor for a leading pharmaceuticals company in relation to its acquisition of a local pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in the UAE.
- Acted as local counsel for lenders in the financing of the Egyptian Refining Company Project related to a hydro-cracking complex in Egypt with an estimated value of USD 2 billion.
- Acted as Egyptian local counsel for lenders in the financing of various oil concessions operations in Egypt including Kuwait Energy, Circle Oil, Melrose and Sea Dragon.
- Acted as counsel for Commercial International Bank Egypt (CIB), Ahli United Bank (Egypt) S.A.E (AUBE), and International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with financing the establishment of a greenfield plant in Ain El Sokhna, Egypt, for producing 1,200 tons per day of polyethylene terephthalate with a total investment cost of USD 204.900 million by the Egyptian Indian Polyester Company.
- Acted as sponsors' local counsel for Egyptian Agrium Nitrogen Products Company SAE (EAgrium) in connection with development of its USD 1.4 billion petrochemical complex.
- Acted as lender's local counsel in respect of the financing of approximately USD 700 million methanol project carried out by the Egyptian Methanex Methanol Company SAE.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association - Member
- Egypt (2000)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (LLB Business Law) (2000)
- Cairo University (BA) (2000)
Author, "Insolvency: Putting the Focus on Debt restructuring," Emirates Law, April 2017
Co-author, "Case Focus: XYZ Bank v. Mr ABC," Emirates Law, April 2016