Karl Paulson Egbert advises asset managers and their funds on regulatory, corporate and business matters. Karl has practiced in New York, London, Hong Kong and Washington, D.C., working on fund formation, listed funds, private equity and capital markets transactions.
Karl has spoken at various industry seminars on a wide range of topics including access to Chinese securities markets (Stock Connect, QFII, RQFII, CIBM), and other regulatory issues for investment managers. He is regularly quoted in publications including the Financial Times, the South China Morning Post, Ignites Asia, Asian Venture Capital Journal and Reuters. He is an adjunct professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center.
Karl has significant experience in advising global hedge fund managers with respect to fund formation and negotiation with strategic investors. He also assists international financial institutions and fund managers on a wide variety of regulatory issues, including SEC adviser registration and exemptions, expansion into China and strategic advice in anticipation of regulatory initiatives, such as Stock Connect and OTC derivatives reforms.
Karl has been recognized as a leading investment funds lawyer by Chambers Global, which stated that “sources value him as a one-stop shop for assistance or direction and further praise his willingness to think outside conventional parameters.” He is also listed in Chambers Asia, where clients noted that “there are few funds lawyers with his level and depth of knowledge – he has the advice on the tip of his tongue.” He has been recognized by The Legal 500 (US) in the area of alternative/hedge funds and by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for his regulatory work.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Karl handled the following matters:
- Acting as global and US counsel to various US, Asian and European private fund launches, including strategic advice relating to seed arrangements and manager compensation.
- Providing advice to Europe and Asia-based advisors on US law and SEC adviser registration.
- Guiding Asian and European asset managers through the process of expansion into the United States.
- Advising global financial institutions on the impact of OTC derivatives reforms.
- Counseling of asset managers and financial institutions on Stock Connect and other means of accessing Mainland Chinese markets and investors.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Member
- New York City Bar Association – Member
- New York City Bar Association – Private Investment Funds Committee – Member
- Alternative Investment Management Association Hong Kong Regulatory Committee – Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2006)
- New York~United States (2004)
- University of Michigan (JD) (2001)
- Yale University (BA) (1996)