Caroline dos Santos
Baker & McKenzie Geneva
Caroline dos Santos is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Litigation & Dispute Resolution department in Geneva. She studied law at the Universities of Lausanne and Geneva. She holds an LL.M. from University College London (summa cum laude).
Prior to joining the Firm, she worked as an associate in a major law firm in Geneva.
Caroline was admitted to the bar in 2016.
Caroline's main area of practice is international arbitration, in particular commercial and sports arbitration, as well as civil and commercial litigation Caroline also advises clients on civil and commercial law, general contract and corporate matters, and assists in drafting all kind of commercial agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chambre de Commerce Brésil-Suisse
- Fédération Suisse des Avocats (FSA)
- Ordre des Avocats (ODA)
- Switzerland (2016)
- University College London (LL.M.) (2017)
- University of Geneva (Certificate of Advanced Studies in Legal Professions) (2014)
- University of Lausanne (Master of Law) (2014)
- University of Lausanne (Bachelor of Law) (2012)
Publications & Presentations
- Author, " Rewriting investors’ claim labelled in USD in near worthless Syrian pounds not extra petita or violation of public policy," ASA Bulletin, Volume 40, No. 1, 2022
- Co-author, "Banking and finance disputes: To arbitrate or not to arbitrate, that is the question," SZW/RSDA, Revue Suisse de droit des affaires et du marché financier (RSDA), issue 4/2020
- Author, "Chronique de jurisprudence suisse – Loi fédérale sur le droit international privé (LDIP) (2011-2019) (2e partie),", Journal du droit international (Clunet), 2020
- Author, "Arbitration law reform in Switzerland: William Tell’s apple-shot?" Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem, Volume XVI, No. 61, 2019
- Author, "European Court of Human Rights rules upon sports-related decision: Switzerland condemned," ASA Bulletin, Volume 37, No. 1, 2019
- Author, "The RFC Seraing’s saga goes on: Arbitration clause contained in FIFA’s statutes held invalid under Belgian law," ASA Bulletin, Volume 36, No. 4, 2018
- Author, "Swiss Federal Supreme Court confirms independence of CAS: Note on Decision 4A_260/2017 of 20 February 2018," ASA Bulletin, Volume 36, No. 2, 2018
- Author, "Zonal arbitration: A no-woman’s land?" Beiträge zu aktuellen Themen an der Schnittstelle zwischen Recht und Betriebswirtschaft III, Zürich, 2017
- Author, "Third-party funding in international commercial arbitration: A wolf in sheep’s clothing?" ASA Bulletin, Volume 35, No. 4, 2017
- Speaker, "Carte blanche à Me Laurent Levy," presentation of the Swiss Supreme Court’s recent case law in international arbitration (ASA, Groupe Genevois), 9 December 2021
Baker & McKenzie Geneva and Baker & McKenzie Zurich are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.