Representative Legal Matters
Prevailed on an international arbitration between two publicly traded companies, concerning a biotech licensing dispute, under the Canadian Arbitration Association Rules.
Successfully protected CAD 200 million of Canadian assets of a Central Asian mining company from four arbitration awards against its government shareholder in Ontario.
Obtained a worldwide Mareva injunction in British Columbia, freezing nearly CAD 10 million in state-owned assets to enforce an international arbitral award held by an India-based mining company.
Defeated a CAD 65 million breach of contract and product liability claim in a UNCITRAL arbitration against a major aerospace company.
Enforced an ICC award in Ontario, held by foreign oil and gas company against a sovereign state.
Won CAD 10.3 million judgment in a fraud claim Ontario for an international bank.
Successfully defended a foreign valuation company in a large-scale securities class action for CAD 7 billion in Ontario.
Defended a European Government in an investor state arbitration under ICSID, involving allegations of expropriation and breach of FET, related to tax legislation.
Defending a Central Asian mining company in a UNCITRAL arbitration at the Hague Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Representing a major railway company in a UNCITRAL arbitration relating to operational rights under a contract.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Young & International (ICDR Y&I) - Executive Board Member (2017-present), Global Advisory Board Member (2013-2016)
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners - Board Member (2017 to present)
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Vienna, Austria - Arbitrator (2012, 2013 and 2015)
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Friendly Round, Toronto, Ontario - Arbitrator (2011, 2013 and 2014)
- CAPE Scholarship - Volunteer / Toronto Fundraising Committee and Board Member (2010-2013)
- Canadian Netherlands Business and Professional Association Inc.
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates' Society
- Ontario Bar Association - Civil Litigation Section
- Ontario~Canada (2011)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2010)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (LL.M. International Law) (2004)
- University of Utrecht (B.A. Honours) (2002)
- Neuchâtel Junior College (O.A.C.)