Christina Doria advises on international litigation, commercial litigation and international arbitration matters. She sits on the working group of Baker McKenzie's International Arbitration sub-practice and was appointed to the Firm's International Arbitration Associates Forum. Christina is also active in the Firm's Commercial Litigation and Class Actions groups. She was awarded an international clerkship, under which she worked as an associate in the New York office. Christina is on the Executive Board of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, Young and International (ICDR Y&I), and previously served a three-year term on the ICDR Y&I Global Advisory Board. Christina is also a Board Member of Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP). Christina is an arbitrator on the Expedited Arbitration Roster for ICDR Canada, and has sat as an arbitrator. She holds an LL.M. in international law, and frequently writes and speaks on cross-border litigation and arbitration matters. She is a contributor to www.canadianfraudlaw.com, www.globalclassactionsblog.com, www.globalarbitrationsnews.com, and the Baker McKenzie International Arbitration and Litigation Newsletter. Christina has served on the Baker McKenzie Toronto Office's Pro Bono Committee since 2013.
Christina acts for various clients on contractual disputes, investor-state disputes, matters involving fraud, jurisdictional disputes, banking matters, shareholder disputes, commercial class actions and economic torts. She has appeared before all levels of Ontario court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench and before domestic and international arbitral tribunals. She has acted on commercial arbitrations under UNCITRAL, AAA/ICDR, ADRIC, and CPR rules, as well as on investor-state arbitrations under ICSID, UNCITRAL and NAFTA.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully protected CAD 200 million of Canadian assets of a Central Asian mining company from four arbitration awards against its government shareholder in Ontario.
- Obtained a worldwide Mareva injunction in British Columbia, freezing nearly CAD 10 million in state-owned assets to enforce an international arbitral award held by an India-based mining company.
- Defeated a CAD 65 million breach of contract and product liability claim in a UNCITRAL arbitration against a major aerospace company.
- Enforced an ICC award in Ontario, held by foreign oil and gas company against a sovereign state.
- Won CAD 10.3 million judgment in a fraud claim Ontario for an international bank.
- Successfully defended a foreign valuation company in a large-scale securities class action for CAD 7 billion in Ontario.
- Defended a European Government in an investor state arbitration under ICSID, involving allegations of expropriation and breach of FET, related to tax legislation.
- Defending a Central Asian mining company in a UNCITRAL arbitration at the Hague Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Representing a major railway company in a UNCITRAL arbitration relating to operational rights under a contract.
- Defending a Chinese engineering company in Alberta, on a CAD 60 million claim for breach of contract in a construction project in the Alberta oil sands.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Young & International (ICDR Y&I) - Executive Board Member (2017-present), Global Advisory Board Member (2013-2016)
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners - Board Member (2017 to present)
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Vienna, Austria - Arbitrator (2012, 2013 and 2015)
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Friendly Round, Toronto, Ontario - Arbitrator (2011, 2013 and 2014)
- CAPE Scholarship - Volunteer / Toronto Fundraising Committee and Board Member (2010-2013)
- Canadian Netherlands Business and Professional Association Inc.
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates' Society
- Ontario Bar Association - Civil Litigation Section
- Ontario~Canada (2011)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2010)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (LL.M. International Law) (2004)
- University of Utrecht (B.A. Honours) (2002)
- Neuchâtel Junior College (O.A.C.)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.