Baker McKenzie Ukraine B.V.
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Ario Dehghani is a counsel of the Kyiv office of Baker McKenzie and head of the Compliance and Investigation Practice Group. Ario is a Germany qualified lawyer, admitted to practice in Germany and the EU. Prior to joining the Kyiv office of Baker McKenzie, Ario worked for Ukrainian law firms as head of their compliance practice and at a Munich office of a leading international law firm for its European investigations, white collar and fraud team. Ario provides courses on German private and public law and holds open lectures on compliance and EU law topics.
Ario has over 13 years of professional experience in the fields of compliance, internal investigations, data protection, regulatory compliance, German and EU law. Ario is one of a few professionals in Ukraine who can prevent, identify, eliminate and mitigate compliance risks at both national and global levels. He advises clients on all types of compliance matters and regularly handles sophisticated internal investigations related to, among others, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act issues. His areas of expertise cover anti-bribery, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions, data protection, and regulatory and product compliance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a German DAX 30 company on internal bribery and anti-corruption compliance investigation regarding potential product safety compliance and criminal law issues in more than 50 countries.
- Advised the world's leading pharmaceutical company (Fortune 500) on an internal investigation with regard to compliance of various sales measures with local anti-corruption laws.
- Conducted a cross-border internal compliance investigation of a Ukrainian subsidiary of a US-headquartered global consumer products company triggered by fraud and bribery allegations with links to potential FCPA and UKBA liability.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a Ukrainian subsidiary of a Japanese automotive supplier triggered by potential bribery schemes and embezzlement by Ukrainian top management and employees; preparation of final reports to national and foreign law enforcement authorities and accompaniment of retaliation measures.
- Conducted an internal investigation for the European headquarters of a world-leading Japanese information and communication technology company triggered by allegations of B2B and B2G bribery in several CIS countries.
- Advised a world leading technology company (Fortune 500) on an internal bribery and anti-corruption compliance investigation in Switzerland, Pakistan and the US regarding potential allegations of investment fraud, embezzlement and bribery.
- Advised a world leading technology company (Fortune 500) on an internal investigation in South Korea related to FCPA infringement and bribery allegations on the request and guidance of the US Department of Justice.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a Ukrainian subsidiary of a global player in the chemical industry, with the focus on its procurement department and third-party service providers; assessing possible compliance violations and risks and implementing risk mitigation steps under applicable Ukrainian and foreign law regimes (US, UK and Germany).
- Advised one of the world's leading automotive car manufacturers regarding an internal compliance investigation in connection with the CO2 emission scandal.
- Advised a major European IT provider for the global travel and tourism industry on investigating alleged embezzlement and bribery schemes established by the Ukrainian management and potential liability risks under applicable national and international anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Munich Bar Association - Member
- Germany (2007)
- Higher Regional Court of Cologne (2007)
- Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena (Master's Degree in Law) (2005)
Baker McKenzie Ukraine B.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.