Denny Da Silva is senior tax advisor and associate director in Baker McKenzie's Johannesburg office, with over 13 years' experience in corporate and international tax as well as the application of exchange control regulations.
Aside from advising clients on tax and exchange control matters, Denny also guest lectures at the University of Johannesburg's M Com Tax programme.
Denny's clients span all industries including financial services, retail, renewable energy, mining and minerals, manufacturing, hotel and gaming, agriculture, construction, private equity, telecommunications and pharmaceuticals to name a few.
He specialises in both international and domestic tax and has experience in tax due diligence work, domestic and international corporate restructurings, mining, private equity fund structures, management carry structures, black economic empowerment transactions, domestic corporate tax, international tax as well as the application of exchange control regulations.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm:
- Advised a South African group on the restructure of its group in anticipation of the sale of a minority stake.
- Advised a multinational private equity fund on the tax and exchange control consequences attendant upon the restructure of its South African investment.
- Advised a multinational group on a cross-border securitisation programme.
- Advised a client on the restructure of its investment valued at USD 20 billion.
- Advised Tsogo Sun Limited in respect of its decision to divide into a gaming division, hotel management division and property division.
- Advised MTN Holdings Limited on the disposal of its shares in IHS Towers, valued at ZAR 27 billion.
- Advised Exxaro Resources Limited on the acquisition and subsequent disposal of its shares in Tronox Limited valued at ZAR 5.3 billion.
- Advised African Rainbow Capital Limited on its JSE listing, valued at ZAR 8.5 billion, including the restructure of its group and shareholding.
- Advised BrightRock Life Limited in respect of the Sanlam's acquisition of a 53% stake in BrightRock valued at ZAR 707 million.
- Advised the Standard General Insurance Company Limited in respect of the transfer of a portion of its insurance business to Guardrisk Life Limited.
- University of Johannesburg (LM - Corporate Law)
- University of Johannesburg (Higher Diploma - International Tax Law)
- University of Johannesburg (Higher Diploma - Tax Law)
- University of Johannesburg (LLB)