Christopher Cook is an associate and solicitor advocate in Baker McKenzie's Global Wealth Management practice in London. He works closely with financial institutions, ultra high-net worth individuals and leading entrepreneurial families on a broad range of wealth management matters.
Christopher advises leading private banks, high-net worth individuals and family-controlled businesses on a variety of matters, including cross-border and general tax planning, life insurance structuring, trusts, succession planning, and business structuring, as well as advising on contentious matters including issues concerning the validity of offshore trust structures, national and international tax investigations and family disputes. Christopher has significant experience in designing and establishing bespoke international asset-holding and wealth management structures including private trust companies, limited partnerships and family offices. Christopher also has experience in advising charities and individuals on philanthropy and not-for-profit matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Russia-based individual on the establishment of a private trust company structure and asset-protection trusts for Russian and European assets.
- Provided tax and trust planning advice to a leading family in the Middle East including advising on the application of diplomatic immunity from taxation and the acquisition of real estate.
- Represented a well-known family in a large tax investigations involving a number of historic trust structures established by previous generations of the family.
- Advising a family based in the Middle East on the establishment of a single family office for the provision of investment and private office services to family members resident in multiple jurisdictions.
- Acting for a high street retail chain in connection with its charitable partnership with a well known children's hospital.
- Advising a high-net worth client in Latin America on the establishment of a charity for the promotion of human rights and the relief of poverty.
- Representing the family of a Far-east based businessman in connection with the administration of his worldwide estate, including assets located in the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US.
- Providing on-going advice to a leading life insurance provider on its UK offering.
- Advising a large international bank on the establishment of its platform for high-net worth UK resident non-domiciliaries.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Solicitor Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings, England and Wales)
- International Bar Association
- England & Wales - United Kingdom (2015)
- College of Law at London (LPC) (2013)
- University of Cambridge (LLM) (2011)
- University of Exeter, England (LLB First Class) (2010)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.