Kerry Contini is a partner in the Firm’s Outbound Trade Practice Group in Washington, DC. She has served as co-chair of the Firm's Pro Bono committee for several years and has managed award-winning pro bono work involving Baker McKenzie professionals in North America, Europe and Asia. She has written on export controls and trade sanctions issues for several publications, including The Export Practitioner and Ethisphere. Ms. Contini is a co-chair of the Export Controls and Sanctions Section of the Association of Women in International Trade. She joined the Firm as a summer associate in 2005 and became a full-time associate in 2006.
Ms. Contini focuses her practice on export controls, trade sanctions, and anti-boycott laws. This includes advising US and multinational companies on trade compliance programs, risk assessments, licensing, review of proposed transactions and enforcement matters. Ms. Contini works regularly with companies across a wide range of industries, including the pharmaceutical/medical device, oil and gas, and nuclear sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled a multinational supplier of oil and gas products and services on compliance of proposed transactions with Iran sanctions.
- Completed a secondment with a multinational pharmaceutical and medical device company focusing on export controls and trade sanctions compliance.
- Provided ongoing trade compliance advice for a major manufacturer of pharmaceutical products and medical devices on compliance with US export controls and trade sanctions, including drafting and submitting license applications and classification requests.
- Provided guidance on US nuclear export controls to a global manufacturing company engaged in the design and construction of nuclear power plants in India.
- Represented the US branch of a non-US bank in an enforcement action by the Office of Antiboycott Compliance in the US Commerce Department related to boycott requests received from Syria.
- District of Columbia~United States (2007)
- California~United States (2006)
- George Washington University Law School (J.D. Honors) (2006)
- George Washington University (Master of Arts) (2006)
- University of California at San Diego (B.A. cum laude) (2002)