Baker & McKenzie LLP
Admitted to practice in New Zealand
Rachael is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie London's Dispute Resolution practice and is a member of the market-leading trusts disputes and wealth controversy group. Rachael has a broad commercial practice with a focus on complex, multijurisdictional commercial litigation, often related to private wealth.
Prior to joining the firm in January 2020, Rachael worked at a specialist dispute resolution firm in London and, before that, at a leading New Zealand firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an ultra-high net worth individual on long-running, multi-billion-dollar, family trusts dispute, seeking to set aside Bermudian purpose trusts in order to return assets to the family heirs and pursuing related claims in a number of other jurisdictions.
- Representing an oligarch and associated corporate vehicles in complex multi-party litigation in the commercial court in London involving multiple English and Ukrainian law claims, counterclaims and additional claims pertaining to the disputed ownership of various assets.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in commercial court proceedings alleging breach of contract and tortious duties of care in relation to the management and commercial charter of a private jet.
- Advising the wealth management division of a global investment bank on a number of commercial disputes.
- Acting for a group of claimants seeking to recover losses in relation to a fraudulent investment scheme orchestrated by a partner of a law firm.
- Recognised in The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in the United Kingdom (2023)
- Recognised as a key lawyer in Baker McKenzie's Tier 1 Contentious Trusts and Probate team by UK Legal 500 (2023)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Zealand Law Society
- Association of Contentious Trusts & Probate Specialists
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Rachael has worked on various matters with the Firm's current pro bono clients.
- Rachael is an active participant in a number of the Firm's corporate social responsibility programmes, including the Legal Experts in Schools and Letter Writing Partners programmes focused on broadening social mobility. Rachael also participates in community volunteering initiatives which the Firm regularly hosts supports.
- High Court of New Zealand (2013)
- University of Otago (LLB and BA)
- College of Law, New Zealand (Professional Legal Studies)
- "Norwich Pharmacal Orders and the Expansion of Jurisdiction Gateways", ThoughtLeaders4 Disputes Magazine, Issue 6, London (2022)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.