Géry Bombeke heads Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in the Brussels office. He joined Baker McKenzie in 2004, after several years of experience in a Big 4 and related law firm. He became partner in 2010.
Géry advises our clients on all kinds of corporate income tax issues, both international and domestic.
Géry's practice is focused on transfer pricing, in the field of which he assists clients with planning, implementation and documentation. He also regularly negotiates unilateral, bilateral and multilateral APAs and assists in transfer pricing audits and disputes, including mutual agreement procedures. Next to his transfer pricing practice, Géry provides tax advice regarding corporate restructurings such as mergers, de-mergers, etc.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Belgian bank on tax and transfer pricing aspects of EUR 5 billion loan securitisation with French affiliate and assistance in obtaining a tax ruling thereon.
- Successfully assisted US IT group in transfer pricing audit on exit of one of the largest Belgian finance companies.
- Lead in mutual agreement procedures for US group between several European countries and the US with successful closing thereof in 2017.
- Advised a pharmaceutical multinational with respect to the worldwide separation of part of its business, including the obtaining of a Belgian tax ruling and assistance in accounting implementation of the separation in Belgium.
- Successfully assisted Belgian biotech company in discussions with tax authorities regarding impact of subsidies on arm's length remuneration.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Fiscal Association (IFA), Belgian branch - Member
- Vlerick Management School Alumni - Member
- University Center Leuven-Limburg - Lecturer International Tax Law and Belgian Non-Resident Corporate Income Tax
- Vlerick Management School - Guest lecturer Transfer Pricing
- Brussels~Belgium (2001)
- Solvay Business School of Brussels (International Tax Planning) (2004)
- Catholic University of Brussels (Master Company Law) (2001)
- Vlerick Leuven Ghent Management School (Master Tax Law) (1999)
- University of Gent (Law Degree) (1998)
Géry regularly contributes to domestic and international tax reviews on Belgian and international taxation, including:
Author, "Fairness taks: circulaire licht tip van sluier op", Fiscoloog, 2014, n° 1382, 4-8
Co-author, "Nieuw voorstel voor richtlijn inzake financial transaction tax", Fisc. Act., 2013, n°7
Author, "De commissionair als hybride figuur in de wereld der directe belastingen", TFR, 2011, n° 399-400, 295-330
He is also a regular speaker at tax seminars, including:
Speaker, "Belgian Corporate Income Tax Reform", Baker McKenzie Tax Seminar, November 2017
Speaker, "Belgian IP tax regime: What's out - what's new?", Baker McKenzie Webinar, June 2016