Michael is an Associate in our Firm's North America Litigation and Government Enforcement Group and is based in our Los Angeles Office. Michael is a commercial litigator and has developed a broad practice representing both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state litigation.
Michael focuses on commercial and consumer litigation at the trial and appellate levels across an array of issues ranging from general commercial disputes over contracts, business torts, franchise law, intellectual property, antitrust, RICO, insurance coverage and unfair competition. Michael also has substantial experience representing clients in investigations and claims brought by government entities, including the United States Department of Justice, California Attorney General, Securities and Exchange Commission, California Insurance Department and others.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the firm, Michael handled the following matters:
- Defended large retailer in lengthy consumer protection action brought by California Attorney General.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of local retailer in dispute over founder's equity.
- Obtained fraud verdict and punitive damages award against seller of distressed real property after multi-week trial.
- Obtained dismissal on demurrer for physician group and its owner in action brought by the California Department of Insurance alleging fraudulent billing practices.
- Obtained patent infringement verdict after a jury trial against large electronic retailer.
- Successfully moved to dismiss client from RICO action alleging misconduct with respect to the assets of entertainment mogul estate.
- Represented large hospital chain and physician group in litigation brought by the U.S. Department of Justice alleging violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark law in connection with the acquisition of a medical practice.
- Represented multinational corporation in enforcement and attachment proceedings in multiple jurisdictions to recover eight-figure international arbitration judgment.
- Represented defendants against claims of securities fraud and insider trading brought by the SEC.
- Represented various franchisors in litigation and disputes with franchisees.
Michael is a board member of Grand Performances, a non-profit providing free summer concerts at California Plaza in downtown Los Angeles, and a partner of Social Justice Partners LA.
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Loyola Law School (J.D., Cum Laude, Order of the Coif) (2011)
- Yale University (B.A. English) (2004)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.