Simone Blackadder is a senior associate in the Media & Content team at Baker McKenzie, Sydney. Simone joined the Firm in 2010 and was admitted to practice in 2012. She now works primarily on litigious matters within the IT, communications, media and defamation fields.
Simone assists on a variety of commercial, advisory and litigious matters for a range of clients in the IT, communications, media, pharmaceutical, high end and luxury retail industries, including in relation to privacy, media, contractual, intellectual property and advertising law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Providing pre-publication advice to Guardian News & Media for its Australian website in respect to defamation, contempt, copyright, suppression orders, and non-publication legislation.
- Advising on comparative advertising campaigns and associated trade mark issues for leading brand owners globally and in Australia.
- Drafting consumer terms and conditions and advising on consumer promotions.
- Advertisement clearance (print, broadcast and radio) and advising on compliance with consumer, trade mark and copyright law and applicable advertising Codes.
- Reviewing local and cross-border websites for compliance with Australian laws.
- Drafting and negotiating sponsorship, commissioning and celebrity agreements.
- Advising on intellectual property disputes, including trade mark and copyright disputes.
- Simone has assisted in a variety of litigious matters for media, telecommunications and technological clients in relation to copyright, defamation, contractual and commercial disputes, including acting for Melanie Brown (aka Mel B) in a contractual dispute (that involved an urgent injunction and an expedited timetable) between her and the Seven Network, which also involved the Nine Network: Seven Network (Operations) Limited -v- Melanie Brown  NSWSC 372.
- In 2013 and 2014, Simone has been part of the team that provides Lion's beer, spirits & wine group with advice and expertise on a broad range of IP and marketing matters, especially with respect to promotions and advertising campaigns.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Volunteer, Oxfam
- Volunteer, AIME (Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience)
- LEAPS mentor
- New South Wales~Australia (2012)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2012)
- University of Newcastle (LLB BCom)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.