Dr. Nicolai Behr
Nicolai co-heads the compliance practice in Germany and the innovation and legal tech team for Baker McKenzie Germany / Austria. Nicolai is the founder of GlobalComplianceNews, a compliance news website with global reach moderated by Baker McKenzie. He co-chairs the committee "International Affairs" of the German Institute for Compliance (DICO). Nicolai is a regular speaker and author on compliance, white collar crime, innovation and legal tech topics.
Nicolai assists clients in a broad range of compliance and dispute resolution matters including internal investigations, anti-corruption due diligence, corporate compliance, risk minimization strategies and related civil litigation. He also focuses on corporate litigation and commercial litigation and arbitration. He is the co-inventor of the automated risk assessment and risk monitoring platform Compliance Cockpit.
In his role as co-head of innovation and legal tech, he develops and implements the innovation and legal tech strategy together with a dedicated team of product developers and innovation experts. He consults companies on restructuring their legal operations and on increasing efficiency by making use of AI and other contract and process automation tools.
Representative Legal Matters
- Implemented comprehensive, global and automated Compliance Management Systems for several companies.
- Assisted a DAX 30 company in an investigation into a multi-million fraud case.
- Defended companies against attempted extortion.
- Assisted a German service provider in an FCPA-related internal investigation.
- Conducted internal investigations in Asia for German and international manufacturers.
- Conducted domestic and international internal investigations for several DAX or US-based companies.
- Represented a German manufacturer in a shareholder compensation claim.
- Germany (2011)
- University of Passau (Dr. iur) (2009)
- University of Passau (2007)
- New York