Celeste Ang's practice encompasses corporate dispute resolution, compliance and investigations. She has significant experience acting for global clients in cross-border disputes and advising clients on compliance and regulatory issues in the context of cross-border investigations. She also has a specialist focus on a wide range of employment and employment-related issues, specialising on contentious or potentially contentious issues including termination of employment, dismissal, retrenchment, breach of fiduciary duties and enforcement of restrictive covenants and confidentiality obligations. Celeste has represented employers on employment and employment-related disputes in the Singapore courts as well as in arbitrations and mediations.
Celeste is named as a recognised practitioner in Chambers Asia Pacific in the area of litigation, and is ranked by Chambers Asia Pacific and named a Leading Practitioner in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific in the area of employment. She is described as "very smart, very innovative - a good example of someone who thinks outside the box" and "very technically competent, very thorough and very responsive" by clients.
Celeste has represented a broad range of multinational clients across various industries in domestic and international arbitrations administered under major institutional arbitral rules, and in court proceedings. She has also advised clients from various industries, such as financial/financial services, energy, oil and gas, healthcare, technology, on compliance and regulatory issues, and assisted them in internal and external investigations (including cross-border investigations) on anti-bribery/anti-corruption, anti-trust, tax, customs/export control and fraud issues and incidents.
As an employment law specialist, she advises clients on a wide range of employment and employment-related issues, with a focus on contentious or potentially contentious issues including termination of employment, dismissal, retrenchment, breach of fiduciary duties and enforcement of restrictive covenants and confidentiality provisions. Celeste has represented employers on employment and employment-related disputes in the Singapore courts as well as in arbitrations and mediations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing an Asian financial multinational company in a claim against multiple defendants for conspiracy and deceit involving investments and fraudulent misuse of funds and misrepresentations of financial performance. The claim is related to multi-jurisdictional proceedings in Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, the British Virgin Islands (amongst others).
- Representing an international construction company in a Singapore-seated arbitration with the Singapore International Arbitration Centre in relation to disputes covering a wide range of issues, including issues of breach of a Thai law-governed contract and issues arising under the Thai civil code and accounting principles.
- Representing an owner and operator of a power plant in Central Asia in ICC arbitration proceedings against a statutory authority for sums due under a power purchase agreement, among other concerns.
- Representing a funding creditor joined by counterclaim on allegations of, among other things, conspiracy, in an action commenced by liquidators of an BVI company against its former directors for breach of fiduciary duties in respect of certain dealings in shares in a Hong Kong entity owned by the BVI company, in hearings before the Singapore High Court and in the Singapore Court of Appeal.
Representing a subsidiary of one of the world's largest interdealer broking firms in relation to multiple proceedings against over 30 of its employees and one of its competitors in connection with the en masse departure of the employees seeking reliefs for breach of employment contracts, inducement of breach of contract and conspiracy.
- Representing one of the largest global inter-dealer brokers in respect of a claim against an ex-employee for the breach of the ex-employee’s post-termination restrictive covenants, successfully obtaining an interim injunction, which was critical in protection of the client's proprietary interests.
- Representing a financial institution in a wrongful dismissal suit from a former employee dismissed for actions in seeking to influence LIBOR rates on behalf of the client; advising the financial institution on disciplinary and other employment-related issues/proceedings which arose from regulatory investigations around conduct affecting rates.
Compliance & Investigations
A financial institution in investigations involving one of its investment companies and its senior employees, following allegations of inappropriate payments, improper financial reporting and improper revenue recognition, and interactions with regulatory authorities in various jurisdictions, including Singapore, Indonesia, the United States and the United Kingdom.
- Representing a leading international energy services company in investigations on the conduct of certain employees in respect of the award and execution of a substantial maintenance contract between the subsidiaries of the company and a foreign power authority, and implications vis-à-vis the relevant anti-bribery legislations.
- A global distributor of technology products, services and solutions in an investigation in respect of issues in respect of possible breach of export control regulations and internal compliance process and procedures in connection thereto impacting sales and compliance teams in Asia, including Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Civil Practice Committee
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- Singapore (1999)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B., Honors) (1998)