Celeste Ang’s practice encompasses corporate litigation and arbitration, both domestic and cross-border. She also has significant experience advising clients on compliance and regulatory issues in the context of investigations, and on a wide range of employment and employment-related issues. Celeste is ranked by Chambers Asia Pacific in the areas of litigation and employment and by Chambers Global in the area of litigation. She is described as "very smart, very innovative - a good example of someone who thinks outside the box" and "very technically competent, very thorough and very responsive" by clients.
Celeste has represented a broad range of multinational clients across various industries in domestic and international arbitrations administered under major institutional arbitral rules, and in court proceedings. She has also advised clients from various industries such as energy, oil and gas, and medical devices, on compliance and regulatory issues and investigations. Additionally, she advises clients on a wide range of employment and employment-related issues, with a focus on contentious or potentially contentious issues including termination of employment, dismissal, retrenchment, breach of fiduciary duties and enforcement of restrictive covenants and confidentiality provisions. Celeste has represented employers on employment and employment-related disputes in the Singapore courts as well as in arbitrations and mediations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing an international construction company in a Singapore-seated arbitration with the Singapore International Arbitration Centre in relation to disputes covering a wide range of issues, including issues of breach of a Thai law-governed contract and issues arising under the Thai civil code and accounting principles.
- Representing an owner and operator of a power plant in Central Asia in ICC arbitration proceedings against a statutory authority for sums due under a power purchase agreement, among other concerns.
- Representing a client in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore against one of the world’s largest global natural resource companies and a major producer and trader of commodities commenced with respect to disputes arising from various coal sales contracts between the parties, which were governed by English law.
- Representing a funding creditor joined by counterclaim on allegations of conspiracy, among others.
- Advising a subsidiary of one of the world’s largest interdealer broking firms in relation to multiple proceedings against over 30 of its employees and one of its competitors in connection with the en masse departure of the employees seeking reliefs for breach of employment contracts, inducement of breach of contract and conspiracy.
- Representing a financial institution in a wrongful dismissal suit from a former employee dismissed for actions in seeking to influence LIBOR rates on behalf of the client.
- Advising a financial institution on disciplinary and other employment-related issues/proceedings which arose from regulatory investigations around conduct affecting rates.
- Advising a financial institution with respect to investigations involving its investments and its employees, following allegations of inappropriate payments and improper financial accounting practices.
- Advising a client with respect to investigations on potential civil/criminal liability and regulatory risks arising from a potentially fraudulent scheme of loans extended to related entities in various jurisdictions, including Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Switzerland.
- Representing a leading international energy services company in investigations on the conduct of certain employees in respect of the award and execution of a substantial maintenance contract between the subsidiaries of the company and a foreign power authority, and implications vis-à-vis the relevant anti-bribery legislations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Publications and Civil Practice Committees
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- Singapore (1999)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. Honors) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.