Michael Amberg is a US-qualified senior associate in the International Commercial & Trade Practice Group in Baker McKenzie’s London office. He advises multinational clients on economic sanctions, export controls and restrictions on foreign investment.
Michael helps clients navigate and comply with sanctions, export controls and national security controls on foreign investment. He also has experience in complex litigation and international commercial arbitration and has assisted clients with internal investigations and compliance related to trade, anti-money laundering, and anti-corruption matters. Previously located in Silicon Valley, he has advised clients in numerous sectors, including technology (hardware and software), energy, banking and finance, private equity, construction, transportation, biotech and medical devices, and consumer goods and retail.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised clients on compliance and licensing under US export controls, with a particular focus on US-China export control issues (e.g., Entity List, semiconductor controls).
- Counseled clients on transactional risks arising out of US economic sanctions, anti-money laundering and anticorruption laws.
- Assisted clients in conducting internal investigations involving potential trade and anticorruption violations and structuring compliance programs.
- Conducted corporate due diligence and risk assessments on US trade and national security issues relating to foreign investments in the United States (CFIUS) across various sectors, including technology (hardware, software, AI), energy, machine tooling, consumer goods and retail.
- Advised and represented US and non-US businesses in commercial litigation and arbitration, including actions involving trade secrets and actions seeking recognition and enforcement of non-US arbitral awards and judgments.
- California~United States
- District of Columbia~United States
- George Washington University Law School (JD, cum laude) (2009)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S./B.A., cum laude) (2004)
- University of Barcelona (visiting student) (2004)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.