We are looking for a Legal Executive to join the highly regarded Real Estate team at Baker McKenzie LLP. The Real Estate team is an integral part of Baker McKenzie's London Office and has been involved in some of the Firm's largest most high profile deals in recent years such as the sale of the Gherkin, the refinancing of the Battersea Power Station development and the acquisition of Green Park, Reading - the largest single asset investment transaction in 2016.
The achievements of the Real Estate team have been recognised externally with the Department being short listed for "Real Estate Team of the Year" in the 2015 Legal Business Awards. The Firm has also been ranked 1st for Legal Services - Global in the Euromoney Real Estate Awards for the 9th year in a row (2009 - 2017). The London Real Estate team works closely and regularly with the Regional and Global Real Estate practices of the Firm which boasts more than 500 real estate professionals around the world. The work of the London Real Estate team is varied, of high-value and often international in nature.
We are seeking a junior-mid level Legal Executive with previous experience supporting Real Estate matters, who is looking for a challenging and rewarding new role within our mid size collegiate team.
The role will include, but is not limited to, the following
- Landlord and tenant matters generally including commercial leasing transactions
- Preparing lease reports
- Carrying out due diligence for real estate transactions and corporate support work
- Project managing and supporting the department with estate management, lettings and residential purchases
- Dealing with all post completion matters
- Assisting other fee earners in the department as and when required.
Our Real Estate department advises on a wide range of property matters specialising in the areas of:
- High value investment acquisitions
- Corporate headquarter leasing
- Real estate financings
- Hotels and leisure sector transactions
- Planning and sustainability matters
- Development projects
- Retail (luxury goods) leases
- General landlord and tenant matters
- Real estate input into M&A transactions.
The department acts for a diverse range of high profile clients in the corporate and financial arena and its primary client base comprises multinational corporates, foreign investment, financial institutions and private equity houses across a wide range of sectors, including technology, media, telecoms, energy, mining, oil and gas, chemicals, construction, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
In recent years, within the department, there has been a particular focus on international inbound investment into London and the UK in addition to their usual work for the Firm's international clients. The team is mid-size and works as a cohesive team with specialist lawyers in other departments particularly tax, funds and corporate, in both the London office and globally. The team combines an extremely high level of real estate expertise that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice. The successful candidate would be working within this supportive and collegiate environment.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- Excellent academic credentials
- ILEX qualified or equivalent
- Current experience in the real estate department of a leading City or US firm
- Outstanding communication and drafting skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Initiative and proactivity
- Sufficient maturity and gravitas to instill confidence and project credibility in an increasingly sophisticated, segmented and competitive market for legal services
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team
- A keenness to continue learning
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.