Sonia Wong is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Employment Practice Group. She is known for her knowledge of employment and labour related laws. She has advised numerous clients across multiple industries such as consumer goods & retail, information technology, pharmaceutical, insurance, and banking and finance, on various employment issues.
Sonia is a regular speaker at client seminars and conducts trainings on various employment topics.
Sonia assists clients with advisory and contentious work as well as transactional support. She has extensive experience in defending employment litigation (including those involving senior executives), conducting complex employee investigations (such as harassment, procurement fraud, bribery and other misconduct), coordinating regional employment advice across multiple jurisdictions for multinationals, and advising on employment structures and mobility arrangements for executives with regional responsibilities.
Sonia also regularly supports clients with formation and termination of employment contracts, policy creation and implementation, drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants, advising on bonus schemes and incentive plans, data privacy issues, implementing downsizing and redundancy programs, conducting employment due diligence and reviewing transactional documents, handling employment and incentive related litigations, work injury claims, discrimination and sexual harassment claims.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised clients on employment documentation including employment contracts, secondment arrangements, staff handbooks and best practice policies.
- Advised clients on appropriate processes and documentation for the termination of employment.
- Advised clients on employment aspects of corporate transactions including due diligence and transfer of employment issues.
- Advised clients on employment related litigations such as disputes on termination entitlements, work injury claims, discrimination and harassment claims.
- Assisted a well-known pension company in successfully defending and wining a Labour Tribunal claim brought by a former senior executive.
- Assisted a luxury products retailer in its restructuring and integration of workforce at local stores and warehouses. Ms. Wong assisted the client in strategizing the steps, drafting / reviewing questionnaires, presentation slides, communication letters to different groups of affected employees (such as office staff, retail staff and warehouse staff).
- Assisted a global multinational risk management, insurance brokerage and advisory company in conducting a disciplinary investigation in relation to fraudulent business expense claims.
- Advised a multi-national cosmetic company on a multi-jurisdictional investigation in relation to allegations of sexual harassment involving senior executives.
- Rising Star (Labour and Employment: Hong Kong) - Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Hong Kong (2012)
- London School of Economics (LL.B. with First Class Honors)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL. with Distinction)
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (B.B.A. Accounting and Finance with First Class Honors)