Michael Wong practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, as well as corporate law. He earned his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings and received his LL.M from Soochow University. Mr. Wong was admitted to the California Bar in 1985.
Although Mr. Wong particularly focuses his practice on M&A transactions, he also handles cross-border commercial transactions and joint ventures. He also specializes in cross border international tax planning for acquisition and post-deal integration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting as counsel for the US 2.3 billion merger (announced on November 13, 2009) between CMO (Chi Mei Optoelectronics) and Innolux Display, two leading Taiwan listed companies in forming the world’s third largest panel maker.
- Acting as counsel for tender offer (announced on November 18, 2009) by Advanced Semiconductor Engineering on all the outstanding shares of Universal Scientific Industrial Inc., using a combination of cash and shares as considerations (deal value at approximately US 630 million).
- Acting as special counsel for Primus Financial Holdings in its US 2 billion acquisition from AIG’s Nan Shan Life Insurance in late 2009.
- Acting as deal counsel for Eaton Corporation for its tender offer of 100 percent shares of a listed Taiwan company, Pheonixtec.
- Acting for several international private equity firms in structuring management buy-outs for Taiwan listed companies.
- Acting as deal counsel for Yahoo! in its acquisition of the social network site Wretch in Taiwan.
- Acting as deal counsel for AIG Inc. in its acquisition of Central Insurance Co., an insurance company listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange, by way of a share swap structure with no prior precedence.
- Acting as deal counsel for BenQ in its worldwide acquisition of the mobile phone division of Siemens AG in 2005, involving operations in more than 50 countries and the complex negotiation of legal documentation.
- Acting as deal counsel for Fubon Financial Holding Co., in its bid for the Taiwan Business Bank.
- Acting as Taiwan counsel for Carrefour’s acquisition of all operations in Taiwan of Tesco PLC, including assistance with the regulatory approvals and contractual negotiations of the transaction.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asian American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- American Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan
- California~United States (1985)
- Soochow University (LL.M.) (1996)
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D.) (1985)
- University of California at Los Angeles (B.A.) (1981)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.