Suksawat joined Baker McKenzie in 1998 and was made a Partner in 2008. He is a member of the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group, providing comprehensive legal representation for a broad spectrum of multinational companies, especially with regard to construction, taxation, telecommunications, the environment, and administrative disputes.
Mr. Watewai’s client list includes multinational companies in the sportswear, automobile and telecommunications sectors. He has also represented investors and financial institutions on various working committees dedicated to facilitating arbitration, seeking tax relief and reorganizing debtors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as a lead litigator in representing the world’s leading electronics and bearing parts in a tax assessment case concerning BOI privilege, before the Tax Court as one of the landmark cases, whereby the Thai Tax Court ultimately decided in our client’s favor by revoking a tax assessment of the Revenue Department.
- Acted as a key member of a working committee for automobile industry investors in relation to taxation proceedings, achieving tax savings of Baht 5.8 billion.
- Acted as a key member of a working committee for the telecom industry and water production investors, facilitating arbitration and Administrative Court proceedings, involving assets valued at Baht 7 billion.
- Represented a group of leading Thai petrochemical companies in a landmark administrative case relating to environmental issues in the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate, in which 76 major projects were forced by an injunctive order of the Administrative Court to cease their activities and operations. The representation includes the successful petitioning of the Administrative Court to modify its injunction to permit construction and testing at the project sites.
- Represented a group of the world’s leading electronic components manufacturers, and a reputable Thai airline, in a landmark tax case in which a lawsuit was brought against the Revenue Department over the dispute regarding the exercise of tax privileges under the Promotion Certificate.
- Represented a group of world leading athletic footwear, apparel and equipment manufacturers against the Customs Department in a customs price dispute, whereby the Thai Tax Court ultimately decided in our client’s favor by revoking a tax assessment of the Customs Department.
- Represented courier express companies, both in negotiating the settlement or dismissal of alleged offenses and in defending prosecution in the Criminal Court under the Thai Customs Act, with exposure to potential penalties of over USD 20 million. The cases involved allegations that the clients had brought shipments into Thailand from 1990 - 1992 without passing through customs.
- Represented the world’s leading hard drive and electronic components manufacturers in a VAT assessment and imposition on a sale of goods case, before the Tax Assessment Committee and the Tax Court.
- Represented a leading European UPS manufacturer in a customs assessment case before the Tax Court.
- Represented a leading Japanese car maker in taxation disputes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1998)
- University of Washington (LL.M.) (2002)
- Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1998)
- Ramkhamhaeng University (LL.B.) (1996)
- Chulalongkorn University (B.S. Engineering) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.