Dr. iur. Julia Schieber
Baker & McKenzie Zurich
Julia is a partner in Baker McKenzie's IP and Technology team. She is specialized in IP transactional matters with a particular focus on the healthcare industry. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Julia worked for major law firms in Munich and New York City, and as a lecturer and research associate at the University of Konstanz. In 2018, she was seconded to Novartis. Julia has been ranked as a "rising star" for Life Sciences in Switzerland by Legal 500, and for Intellectual Property by Managing IP. Client's describe Julia as "truly outstanding" with "excellence in contracting and negotiating complex licensing contracts with strong and complex IP topics" (Legal 500). Julia is heavily involved in the Firm's children's rights pro bono work.
Julia has vast experience in all aspects of intellectual property law with a particular focus on technology related matters. As part of the global IP and Technology team, she assists clients in complex IP transactions involving the development, exploitation and transfer of intellectual property rights. Julia advises on a broad range of IP, commercial and corporate agreements such as collaboration agreements, licensing agreements, R&D agreements, asset deals, settlement agreements and a variety of technology transfer issues. She has vast experience in advising clients in the Life Sciences and IT sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- GSK in its license agreement with WuXi Biologics for multiple novel bi- and multi-specific T cell engagers.
- CureTeq in its licensing agreement with Merck for oncology asset M8891.
- CureVac on its collaboration agreement with myNeo N.V. for identifying novel antigen targets for mRNA-based cancer vaccine development.
- Founders of Digital Republic on selling the company to mobilezone Group.
- Advised Adagene on its collaboration with Sanofi for novel masked immuno-oncology antibody candidates.
- Advised several multinational pharma companies on advance purchase agreements with the EU Commission and European governments for the purchase of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.
- Advised MODAG GmbH on its license collaboration for a neurodegenerative disease drug candidate with Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Advised CureVac AG on its COVID collaboration and license agreement with GSK.
- Advised CureVac AG on its COIVID-19 partnership agreement with Bayer AG.
- Advised Adagene AG on its collaboration and license agreement with Exelixis.
- Advised CureVac AG on its strategic mRNA technology collaboration with GSK in the field of infectious diseases.
- Advised Numab Therapeutics AG on a collaboration and license agreement with Boehringer Ingelheim.
- Advised CSL Behring on its strategic partnership with Thermo Fisher.
- Advised JobCloud AG on various IP, commercial and data protection related issues.
- Advised OnlineDoctor AG on various IP, commercial and data protection related issues.
- Advised Novaliq GmbH on a license agreement with Bausch Health.
- Advised Numab Therapeutics AG on a global research and option agreement with Eisai, Co., Ltd.
- Advised Novaliq GmbH on a license agreement with Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine.
- Rising Star Switzerland for Life Sciences by Legal 500 in 2021 and 2022
- Rising Star Switzerland for Intellectual Property by Managing IP in 2022
- Award of the Foundation for Science and Society at the University of Konstanz ("Stiftung Wissenschaft und Gesellschaft") for the best PhD thesis in 2012/2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) - Member
- Institute for Intellectual Property Rights in Switzerland (INGRES) - Member
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- Germany (2015)
- Switzerland (2015)
- High Regional Court of Stuttgart (Second State Exam) (2014)
- University of Konstanz (Dr. jur.) (2012)
- University of California at Los Angeles (Legal Research) (2011)
- University of Konstanz (First State Exam) (2009)
- University of Montpellier (Exchange Student) (2007)
- University of Santo Tomas (Exchange Student) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.