Paweł Samborski is a partner in the disputes resolution practice of Baker McKenzie in the Warsaw office. He has handled disputes related to, inter alia, infrastructure, telecommunications, IT, JVs and M&A, and he has represented clients in proceedings under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce, and in ad hoc proceedings.
Paweł holds a master’s degree from the Warsaw University, completed diploma studies at the University of Cambridge, studied Construction Law and Dispute Resolution at King’s College London, and completed the ICC Advanced Arbitration Academy. He is a member of the board of the Polish Arbitration Association; the arbitration committee of the Court of Arbitration at Polish business confederation Lewiatan; the King’s College Construction Law Association; and the Polish National Committee and CEEAG group of the ICC.
Paweł speaks regularly at conferences on international and domestic arbitration and construction disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a pipeline operator in crisis management and multimillion claims resulting from contamination of the Druzhba pipeline.
- Represented an international contractor in a dispute (FIDIC Red Book) with an investor regarding termination of a contract for construction of the A4 motorway (value: approx. EUR 55 million).
- Represented an international contractor in a dispute valued approx. EUR 50 million against investor resulting from termination of an EPC underground gas storage project.
- Represented a global chemicals company in a product liability claim worth around EUR 10 million initiated by an automotive company.
- Represented a major Polish energy company in ICC arbitration related to claims valued app. EUR 10 million resulting from takeover of a coal-fired power plant.
- Represented PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. in a number of disputes against consortiums composed of international and local contractors resulting from railroad construction projects and railroad switches modernization project.
- Represented a municipal development company in two ICC arbitrations worth over EUR 20 million (FIDIC Yellow Book) against an international contractor relating to a termination of community transportation (tram and road) project.
- Represented in a EUR 27 million construction dispute (FIDIC Red Book) against an international developer relating to one of the biggest and most complicated multi-purpose developments in Poland (ICC arbitration).
- Represented a Polish contractor in a EUR 7 million EUR dispute with the investor resulting from a termination of drilling contract.
- Represented international contractor in a EUR 6.5 million ICC arbitration against a sub-contractor resulting from a major oil EPC project.
Paweł enters the rankings this year following extensive feedback from market commentators. His tact in handling contentious matters is praised by interviewees, one declaring: "I like to work with him because he is very calm in the courtroom." He is well prepared to advise on construction disputes.
- Arbitration Future Leaders - Who is Who Legal 2020
- Chambers Europe/Chambers Global 2020 - Band 4, Dispute Resolution
Professional Associations and Memberships
- King's College Society of Construction Law - Member
- Board of the Polish Arbitration Association - Member
- Arbitration Committee at the Court of Arbitration at Konfederacja Lewiatan - Member
- ICC Polish National Committee - Member
- ICC CEE Group - Member
- Warsaw~Poland (2007)
- Warsaw University
- King's College London (Construction Law and Dispute Resolution)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration and Escuela Libre de Derecho (Advanced Arbitration Academy)