Hesham Ragab is an Of Counsel within the Cairo office of Baker McKenzie; he joined Cairo office in November 2015. Hesham is a former member of the Egyptian Judiciary. He served as a bench judge in different courts levels (criminal, civil and commercial). His last post was in the Cairo Appellate Court. He also held the position of lead legal advisor for the Audi Bank.
Hesham focuses on banking & finance, trade & commerce, trademarks, dispute resolution and criminal cases. Hesham has participated in many international conferences and continues to lecture in various legal areas. He has participated in drafting and reviewing many Egyptian legislations.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised a consortium that consists of the Suez Canal Economic Zone and the Sovereign Fund of Egypt along with a private-sector investors, including: Samcreete Investments Holding, Hassan Allam Holding, Orascom Construction, and Connect Information Technology, in relation to the project contracts and for setting up a specialized manufacturing company, the National Egyptian for Railroad Industries Company (NERIC). NERIC will specialize in producing and refurbishing locomotives.
Acting for the Sovereign Fund of Egypt in connection with a project comprising the establishment, construction, operation and maintenance of 6 medical supplies warehouses in different geographical locations in the Arab republic of Egypt
Acting as a legal counsel to Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) in connection with 200 MW BOO solar PV project in Kom Ombo, Aswan.
Advised an Egyptian bus vehicle for hire, ride-sharing company based in Cairo in connection with advising on a license agreement entered into with the Egyptian Ministry of Transportation.
Advised an American multinational technology company in connection with consumer protection law matter.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) - Member
- International Insolvency Judges Group (IIE) - Member
- Ministry of Justice - Legislative Member (2011-2016)
- National Commission for Economic Legislations. - Member
- World Bank and UNDOC - Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Consultant
- Minster of Trade and Industry - Advisor for legal and legislative affairs
- Egyptian Competition Authority - Appointed Board Member
- Egyptian Industrial Development Authority - Appointed Board Member
- Egyptian Regulatory Reform & Development Activity's (ERRADA) Appointed Board of Trustees Member
- Higher Committee for Legislative Reform - Member
- Economic Legislations Committee - Vice Chairperson
- Egypt (1985)
- Alexandria University (Master's degree) (1992)
- Alexandria University (Bachelor degree, with honors from the Faculty of Law) (1984)
- University of Minnesota Law School (LLM)