Mag. Dr. Désirée Prantl is an Austrian-qualified lawyer with more than eight years of experience in domestic and international dispute resolution. She has represented clients in arbitral proceedings under the rules of major arbitration institutions and has frequently served as tribunal secretary in domestic ad hoc arbitrations. Amongst others, Désirée acted as counsel in disputes relating to the termination and adjustment of long-term supply and capacity contracts in the energy sector as well as in complex post-M&A disputes dealing with warranty claims. Désirée is a member of the National Advisory Board of the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber. She engages in pro bono work and lectures at the University of Innsbruck and the Austrian Arbitration Academy. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked at an internationally renowned law firm and gained working experience in London, Kiev and Brussels.
Désirée specializes in civil and corporate law matters and is experienced with disputes arising out of complex contractual relationships. Her practice focuses on the commercial, telecommunications, energy, construction and major projects sector. She has, amongst others, represented global and national energy companies and telecommunications leaders, the Austrian branch of a market leader in the metal industry, affiliates of a leading corporate and investment bank and a conglomerate on technology and electrical engineering. Her legal and economic understanding allows her to meet the highest demands of clients as well as to adjust to different types of clients. Désirée has been practicing in civil law jurisdictions, predominantly under Austrian, German and Swiss law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and representing a technology manufacturer in insolvency proceedings.
- Defended a multinational technology company with respect to data protection and security claims.
Prior to joining the Firm she,
- Represented the Austrian subsidiary of a leading telecommunications company in a VIAC arbitration which arose out of an alleged breach of warranty obligations.
- Acted for a professional cyclist in a sports arbitration before the UCI Arbitral Board in relation to interpretation issues of an employment contract.
- Defended Austrian affiliates of a leading corporate and investment bank in arbitral proceedings under the Rules of the Permanent Arbitration Tribunal of the Economic Chamber in Vienna concerning the breach of warranties under an SPA in the real estate sector.
- Represented and advised an Austrian energy supplier in an arbitration administered by the VIAC with respect to disclosure requests from the trustee.
- Defended the Austrian branch of a market leader in the metal industry in a VIAC arbitration concerning sub-contractor claims in relation to a steel construction.
- Advised a global energy company in relation to E-Control settlement proceedings regarding the termination and adjustment of long-term capacity contracts.
- Represented a global energy company in a VIAC arbitration with respect to the termination and adjustment of long-term capacity contracts.
- Acted for a gas storage provider in ICC arbitration proceedings arising out of disputes over price adjustments in long-term gas storage contracts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Advisory Board of the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber - Member
- Vienna Bar Association - Member
- Vienna, Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) - Member
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAut) - Member
- Austria (2015)
- New York University School of Law (Master of Laws) (2011)
- University of Innsbruck (Doctor Juris) (2010)
- University of Innsbruck (Diploma Program International Economics and Business Studies) (2008)
- University of Innsbruck (Diploma Program Business Law) (2007)
- Co-author, "Moderation of contractual penalties in arbitration," AYIA 2021
- Co-author, "Data protection and international arbitration - an overview," AYIA 2021
- Co-author, "Feststellung der Mehrkosten aus Bauablaufstörungen durch ein vom Gericht eingeholtes Sachverständigengutachten," ZRB/4 2020, 130-134
- Co-author, "Data Protection in Arbitration – why bother?" Corporate Disputes Magazine Jan-Mar 2021, 83-87
- Co-author, "Finance Arbitration," Corporate Disputes Magazine Sept-Dec 2020, 91-95
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.