Désirée is a Counsel in our Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Her practice encompasses international commercial arbitration and state court litigation. Désirée is experienced with disputes in the construction, energy, telecommunications and post-M&A sector. Our global, international and domestic clients entrust Désirée with the most delicate disputes and value her smooth and prudent conduct of proceedings and high-level work products.
Désirée is a member of the National Advisory Board of the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (VIAC). She lectures at the University of Innsbruck and the Austrian Arbitration Academy and regularly publishes and speaks on contemporary topics in the field of dispute resolution. Désirée also engages in pro bono work, spreads the Firm's Diversity Inclusion & Equality policy and supports women in law initiatives. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Désirée worked at an internationally renowned law firm and gained working experience in New York, London, Paris, Kiev and Brussels.
With over 10 years of practice, Désirée has represented a broad range of clients across various industries in domestic and international arbitrations administered under major institutional arbitration rules, and in court proceedings. Désirée has been practicing in civil law jurisdictions, predominantly under Austrian, German and Swiss law. She has, amongst others, represented global and national energy companies and telecommunications leaders, the Austrian branch of a market leader in the metal industry, the Romanian branch of an Austrian headquartered global industrial service provider, affiliates of a leading corporate and investment bank and a conglomerate on technology and electrical engineering in high stake and complex arbitration proceedings. She has been increasingly involved in disputes related to the CEE region.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a Kosovar state-owned telecommunications company in a contractual dispute against a Kosovar telecommunications company which includes allegations of bribery under the Swiss Rules.
- Representing a Germany based global market leader of battery watering filling systems in a dispute with its longtime supplier involving complex requests under the DIS Rules.
- Representing an Austrian headquartered global leader of logistics solutions in a dispute against a Russian market leader in the fashion area involving issues of delay and sanctions under the Rules of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation.
- Successfully defended the Romanian branch of an Austrian headquartered global industrial solution provider in a dispute arising from the construction of a nitric acid production plant in Sweden under the ICC Rules seated in Zurich.
- Advising a multinational telecommunications provider in a multi-jurisdiction dispute regarding its Exclusive License to collect and supply betting data in football games.
- Advising a global leader of business cloud software in two disputes arising from the implementation of its ERP system.
- Representing a luxury hotel chain in several disputes related to failed high volume real estate projects in the city center of Vienna.
- Represented the Austrian branch of a multinational table manufacturer against a damage claim from the former proprietary of the retail space dealing with a highly controversial legal matter related to real estate.
- Represented the new owner of Austria's largest amusement park in a post M&A dispute involving warranty claims.
- Representing Slovenia's most successful start-up company which has become a global market leader in the purification of biomolecules against revocation claims lodged by the insolvency administrator.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Advisory Board of the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber – Member
- Vienna Bar Association – Member
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) – Member
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAut) – Member
- Arbitral Women – Member
- Female Board Pool – Member
- Austria (2015)
- New York University School of Law (Master of Laws) (2011)
- University of Innsbruck (Doctor Juris) (2010)
- University of Innsbruck (Diploma Program International Economics and Business Studies) (2008)
- University of Innsbruck (Diploma Program Business Law) (2007)
- Co-author (with Julia Hildebrandt), "Die Rolle des Klimawandels in der Handelsschiedsgerichtsbarkeit," Nachhaltigkeitsrecht, Zeitschrift für das Recht der nachhaltigen Entwicklung, Verlag Österreich, volume 3, issue 3, October 2023
- Co-author (with Stephanie Rohmann, Paul Adelt), "Die Rechtsprechung des OGH zur Aufhebung von Schiedssprüchen seit dem SchiedsRÄG 2013," ecolex, 12.07.2023
- Co-author (with Stephanie Rohmann), "Joinder & Consolidation – Efficient case Management Tool or Multi-Headed Beast?" AYIA 2023 172-176
- Co-author (with Alice Stocker, Julia Hildebrandt and Mariella Rieder), "Cybersecurity in International Arbitration – Hacked evidence turns fancy buzz words into real threat" AYIA 2022 47-77
- Co-author (with Matthias Pendl), "Moderation of contractual penalties in arbitration" AYIA 2021 103-126
- Co-author (with Gernot Fritz, Niamh Leinwather and Matthias Hofer), "Data protection and international arbitration – an overview" AYIA 2021 193-214