Advising on all aspects of M&A deals, as well as carrying out legal due diligence;
Conducting legal compliance audits for insurance companies as well as intermediaries from an insurance regulatory standpoint;
Advising insurance companies on corporate structures and restructuring, application for increased foreign shareholding, business integrations, insurtech and a broad range of insurance regulatory matters;
Drafting, commenting on and analyzing various commercial contracts related to the insurance business, including insurance policies, insurance distribution agreements, bancassurance agreements, as well as reinsurance agreements; and
Advising on corporate management and control, as well as drafting and commenting on shareholders' agreements and joint venture agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted an international life insurer with the acquisition of a life insurance company from a Thai bank, followed by a business integration through an amalgamation, (the first amalgamation case for the life insurance sector), applying for increased foreign shareholding, and obtaining insurance regulatory approvals from the Office of Insurance Commission.
- Advising an international non-life insurance operator with the business integration of its operations in Thailand including applying for increased foreign shareholding, marking the first successful case in Thailand to obtain 100% foreign shareholding from the Ministry of Finance.
- Assisted a Thai insurer with a business integration with a German insurer, worth over USD 240 million.
- Assisted a Japanese non-life insurer with the acquisition of an insurance company from an Australian insurer via a bidding process, followed by a business integration through an amalgamation, applying for increased foreign shareholding, and obtaining insurance regulatory approvals from the Office of Insurance Commission.
- Assisted the Thai subsidiary of a foreign property developer in a cross-industry acquisition of an insurance company which runs under an Australian insurer, via a bidding process.
- Assisted a non-life insurer with the amalgamation of its operations in Thailand, resulting in the incorporation of a new non-life insurance company.
- Assisted a Thai life insurance company which operates under an international life insurer, with acquiring a Thai life assurance company, followed by a business integration via an entire business transfer or EBT.
- Assisted a subsidiary of an international insurer with the acquisition of the life insurance unit of a Thai bank.
- Assisted an insurer with day-to-day matters and the restructuring of its own shareholding in a joint venture entity with a life insurance company, in a bid to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Assisted a Thai bank with the expansion of its life insurance brokerage business by forming a joint venture with a Singaporean life insurer, as well as advising on the structure of a digital business to sell insurance.
- Assisted the Thai insurance regulator, the Office Of Insurance Commission (OIC), with the following:
- ensuring compliance to the Personal Data Protection Act, by developing a handbook for the regulator and the insurance industry;
- conducting an insurance M&A training for OIC officials;
- translating insurance laws into English, in line with the World Bank's FSAP program, totaling over 300 volumes;
- translating insurance laws into English, including the Insurance Act and relevant notifications totaling 150 volumes in relation to the AEC; and
- establishing the National Catastrophe Fund to assist the insurance industry during Thailand's 2011 massive floods.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Thailand - Member
- Thai Bar Association - Extraordinary Member
- University of Bristol (LLM - Corporate and Commercial Law) (2013)
- Bangkok University (LLB - Honors) (2006)
- Speaker, Office of Insurance Commission's "8th Advanced Insurance Program", under the topic "Current Development on Insurtech in Asian Countries: Legal Analysis", October 2018 and 2019
- Speaker, Office of Insurance Commission's "Current Insurance M&A", July 2019
- Trainer, Office of Insurance Commission's "Data Laws: How to Leverage Data for Office of Insurance Commissions", August 2019
- Co-author, "The OIC Takes Action Amid Spread of COVID-19 OIC", Baker McKenzie Client Alert, March 2020
- Co-author, "OIC Considers Granting Insurance Digital Licenses", Baker McKenzie Client Alert, February 2020