Carine Pick is a director designate in Baker McKenzie's Corporate M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Carine advises private and listed companies (local and international) across a diverse range of industries including retail, pharmaceutical, and telecommunications. She has a particular focus on bidder processes, acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures, restructuring, fund formation, the formation and structure of corporate entities, strategic mergers and empowerment transactions.
Carine's experience includes drafting and negotiating complex and bespoke commercial transaction agreements including ancillary documents (such as MOIs, shareholders’ agreements, transitional services agreements, term sheets, binding offers, repurchase agreements, subscription agreements, asset for share agreements, conducting and coordinating due diligence investigations together with the preparation of due diligence reports, and assisting with the implementation and execution of deals across various jurisdictions.
She also advises on aspects of the South African Companies Act, 2008 and corporate governance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Massmart in relation to the acquisition by Walmart Inc of the remaining shares in Massmart by way of a scheme of arrangement and subsequent delisting. *
- Advised The Foschini Group (TFG) on the acquisition of Tapestry Home Brands Proprietary Limited. *
- Advised Ascendis Health Limited on the disposal of Respiratory Care Africa Proprietary Limited, which was shortlisted for the DealMakers Private Equity Deal of the Year in 2021. *
- Advised Vodacom Group Limited on the acquisition of a 55% interest in Vodacom Egypt Telecommunications SAE, which was awarded DealMakers Brunswick Deal of the Year in 2021. *
- Advised The Foschini Group (TFG) on the acquisition of Jet from Edcon Limited, in business rescue, which was shortlisted for the DealMakers Brunswick Deal of the Year award in 2020 and Business Rescue Transaction of the Year in 2020. *
- Advised Ascendis Health Limited on the disposal of the Ascendis Animal Health business, which was awarded DealMakers South Africa Private Equity Deal of the Year in 2021. *
- Advised Massmart Holdings Limited on the disposal of Cambridge Food & Rhino, Massfresh and select Masscash Cash and Carry stores to Shoprite Checkers Proprietary Limited. *
- Advised RMB Ventures and the shareholders of Tessara Proprietary Limited in respect of the disposal of shares in, and claims against, Tessara to the Carlyle Group. This deal was shortlisted for the DealMakers Catalyst Private Equity Deal of the Year in 2019. *
- Advised RMB Ventures together with Bopa Moruo Fund II Proprietary Limited, on the acquisition of an indirect stake of 52.31% in Cargo Compass (South Africa) Proprietary Limited. *
- Advised Vodacom Group Limited on the acquisition of a 51% interest in 10T Holdings Proprietary Limited and IoT.nxt BV. *
*Experience obtained prior to joining Baker McKenzie.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa
- South Africa (2016)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Certificate in Advanced Company Law II) (2018)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Certificate in Advanced Company Law I) (2017)
- University of the Witwatersrand (LLB) (2013)