Piyapong first joined the Bangkok office of Baker McKenzie in 1996. He began his career in the Corporate and Commercial Practice Group and then moved to the Litigation and Arbitration Practice Group in 1997. He began his litigation practice in areas of dispute related to construction disputes, corporate and commercial law, trade and investment regulations, and product liabilities. As a key member of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group, he has accumulated extensive experience in the various areas including arbitration, construction, debt restructuring, business reorganization and bankruptcy, criminal and civil litigations and administrative law. Piyapong has also represented individual clients in legal disputes in the areas of family law, wills and succession, administration and distribution of estates.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing one of the world's largest shipbuilding corporations in disputes arising out of the explosion of a gas pipeline in the Gulf of Thailand. Acting as counsel for leading construction and shipbuilding companies in a claim of over USD 1 billion as a result of breach of construction and supply contracts.
- Acting for a firm in the rehabilitation process of the TPI Group, which is one of the first and largest rehabilitation proceedings in Thailand.
- Acting for a syndicate of banks in filing petitions for the bankruptcy restructuring procedures for three sugar mills. The advice included restructuring, appointment of the planner in order to prepare a restructuring plan, and preparation of new financing, e.g. a new credit facility agreement and intercreditor agreement. The transaction covering the bankruptcy restructuring procedure was valued at approximately USD 95 million.
- Advising numerous companies including a foreign bank and a well-known motorcycle company on the available actions following the discovery of potential wrongdoing committed internally and externally.
- Representing a global financial institution that provides international financial services including private banking and wealth advisory services, in disputes brought by Thai investors with a claim of over USD 7 million.
- Advising a trustee in the bankruptcy of the parent company and ultimate owner of one of the largest steel pipe manufacturers in the world in a USD 650 million business rehabilitation.
- Representing a major regional construction firm in criminal bribery allegations investigated by the Thai Parliament, the National Counter-Corruption Commission, and the Department of Special Investigation, relating to violations of Thai law, including the Thai Penal Code, the Act on Offenses in Relation to Submission of Bids, and the Money Laundering Act.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of Thailand - Member
- Thailand (1995)
- Case Western Reserve University (LL.M.) (1996)
- Southern Methodist University (LL.M.) (1995)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B.) (1993)
Panelist, "Navigating risks along the Belt and Road," discussing the challenges with BRI Projects from inbound and outbound perspectives during Hong Kong Arbitration Week, October 2019
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.