Tsanga Mukumba is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Tsanga focuses on transaction structuring and international tax advisory. He has had a broad range of experience in both local and cross-border transactions, having advised clients on acquisitions, divestments, incentivisation schemes, the application of double taxation agreements, and accessing tax incentives.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a medical equipment supplier regarding the setting up of a management share incentive scheme.*
- Provided tax structuring advice regarding the acquisition of a South African gaming business by a UK sports betting and gaming group, including the preference share funding of a local empowerment partner.*
- Advised a chrome miner regarding access to the special economic zone tax incentives and optimisation through the broader company's operations.
- Advised a Swiss flavour and fragrance group on international tax considerations in setting up a referral agent network for Africa expansion.*
- Advised a central financial depository operating out of Belize, seeking to enter the South African market on compliance with VAT registration and filing requirements for digital service providers.*
- Advised a private equity fund on the establishment and structuring of further funds within the fund's portfolio.
- Advised the funders conducting distressed debt restructure of listed medical services group.*
- Part of tax due diligence and transaction structuring teams advising on transactions for the sale and delisting of the Long4Life group.*
- Part of due diligence and transaction structuring teams advising the seller in the disposal of Tapestry Home Brands (Pty) Ltd.
- South African tax due diligence lead on the acquisition of a mobile operator managed services company by a South African digital services group.
- Advised a merchant bank on internal controls and policies for compliance with the South African Revenue Services' implementation of the Common Reporting Standard and Automatic Exchange of Information.*
- Advised a regional flour importer/exporter on exchange control regularisation regarding the export of capital relating to the historical establishment of a Zambian subsidiary.*
* Experience obtained prior to joining Baker McKenzie
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa
- South Africa (2020)
- University of Cape Town (LLM Tax) (2016)
- University of Cape Town (LLB) (2013)
- University of Cape Town (BSocSc) (2010)